can i upgrade my icloud from 5gb to 64gb before purchase of my new 256GB iphone 13? so will have enough storage for transfer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
my 64GB iphone 6s has loads of pics, videos, documents, contacts, etc. the icloud 5GB was well used up years ago. however l like my new iphone 13 to have same apps, pics and chats etc (64GB max) , is this best way to do? and will work fine even if l cancel the icloud upgrade after transfer made to new iphone 13? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
is this best way to do? and will work fine even if l cancel the icloud upgrade after transfer made to new iphone 13? thanks
I'm a bit confused by the question as I don't really know what "this" is. However, when your new iphone arrives and you start it up, it will ask if you want to transfer from another iPhone. If you say that you do, it will show you directions to put the two phones near each other, read a QR code on one with the other and then just wait as they transfer everything wirelessly. It may take a while with 64GB of data, but it should work well.

Trying to move 64GB through a 5GB cloud account won't work.

Why cancel the iCloud account? You can still use it to sync the iPhone to a Mac, or iPad.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
I'm a bit confused by the question as I don't really know what "this" is. However, when your new iphone arrives and you start it up, it will ask if you want to transfer from another iPhone. If you say that you do, it will show you directions to put the two phones near each other, read a QR code on one with the other and then just wait as they transfer everything wirelessly. It may take a while with 64GB of data, but it should work well.

Trying to move 64GB through a 5GB cloud account won't work.

Why cancel the iCloud account? You can still use it to sync the iPhone to a Mac, or iPad.
thanks MacInWin, brilliant, l want the iphone 13 which will get within days, to have the same contacts and apps like whatsapp with the chats (hopefully) that my 64GB iphone6s has. so l use the iphone 13 to read a QR code from iphone 6s? iphone 6s will ust autromatically generate right?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@MacInWin

From the first post, I got the impression that the goal was to increase iCloud storage long enough to make a backup of the current phone. iCloud could be canceled/reduced once the transfer was completed. You're correct, as usual, about the use of the code to trigger the information transfer process.

@Applet I've done this process without making a backup first. What can I say, I need a little excitement once in a while :)

Since it's always a good idea to have a backup before a transfer, why not just backup the old iPhone to the computer? That provides a backup in the event of a disaster and could be deleted afterward if you need the space.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you want to secure your photo library on your iPhone without upgrading your iCloud storage plan the best place to have it is backed up locally in Photos your computer.
Using the Quick Start method to transfer data directly from old to new iPhone works well but takes much more time compared to the iCloud transfer.
I have found its best to have a full encrypted backup of the old device on my computer which preserves more personal data and passwords just as insurance.
Once you have as much data as possible saved locally you will always have the fall back option of setting up the new device via USB cable from your computer as a "New iPhone" restoring from your backup.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Having said all of the above its worth noting that as "My Photo Stream" comes to an end on 26th of this month I have setup iCloud Photo Library. For just AU$1.49/month you can have 50GB of storage which is more than enough for my 18GB Photos library and apps, docs ect.
Last night I found the built in Duplicates Utility in iOS Photos which works very effectively for my needs plus the option to optimise the library to save space (not an issue for me) if necessary.
All up, transitioning to iCloud Photos Library has not caused any problems for me nor should it for the average user.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Catalina 10.15.3
Having said all of the above its worth noting that as "My Photo Stream" comes to an end on 26th of this month I have setup iCloud Photo Library. For just AU$1.49/month you can have 50GB of storage which is more than enough for my 18GB Photos library and apps, docs ect.
Last night I found the built in Duplicates Utility in iOS Photos which works very effectively for my needs plus the option to optimise the library to save space (not an issue for me) if necessary.
All up, transitioning to iCloud Photos Library has not caused any problems for me nor should it for the average user.

what happens if you upgrade icloud to 50GB from 5GB, store up all the photos, notes, pages on it, but then downgrade to 5GB? all the 50GB files will be in my iphone and macbooks , correct? rather than transferring the files into an external HD then transferring to the macbooks or to iphone, right?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a complicated question and I cant give you a simple answer.
To begin with Notes, Pages, Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders ect are already synced via iCloud to your devices. Photos requires iPhoto Library but even then only for syncing to your other devices. You can choose to keep your originals on your Mac as I do. All the originals are also synced to your devices unless you choose the "Optimise iPhone Storage" option, in which case all the originals will still be downloaded to your iPhone unless you run out of space. Then the photos will be reduced to Thumbnails but originals can be downloaded at any time. I have 128GB on my iPhone with 52GB free so all my originals are on my iPhone.
As for downgrading from 50GB to 5Gb it's impractical and may be impossible. Sooner or later you will need at least 20GB and 50GB is only $0.99/month. I have 200GB of iCloud+ which I share via Family Sharing with my wife for $2.99/month.
See here for more; iCloud+ plans and pricing

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
what happens if you upgrade icloud to 50GB from 5GB, store up all the photos, notes, pages on it, but then downgrade to 5GB? all the 50GB files will be in my iphone and macbooks , correct? rather than transferring the files into an external HD then transferring to the macbooks or to iphone, right?

If I may, I'd like to advise caution if you intend to go ahead with your plan.

Firstly, you would have to purchase the 50GB of storage at £$0.99 per month. The process of syncing all the photos et al takes time. This is not done in 5 minutes. It could take many hours depending on whether you are using the computer during that time as the syncing is a background function. This is especially so with regard to photographs and videos.

Once complete, I doubt Apple would sanction a "downgrade" to 5GB and even if they did, there would be a serious risk of losing data and you'd have to be very careful how you handled the data on all your devices. I see a prize mess here.

EDIT: I've just seen that Rod, being a much faster typist and top guy, has given you a splendid summary of the facts, consequences and further options.

I did think of withdrawing my poorer post, but in combination with his, I think you get the message. And I totally agree with him that in time you will need more syncing/storage and let's be honest £$2-99/month is less than a cup of coffee and you get 200GB - which I reckon you will eventually require.

Sorry, Rod. I think your post was more lucid than mine.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Since it's always a good idea to have a backup before a transfer, why not just backup the old iPhone to the computer? That provides a backup in the event of a disaster and could be deleted afterward if you need the space.

That was my thought when I first read the OP's post on this thread, why not just use a backup application such as IMazing.app and basically end up with a clone of all their data.

But maybe there's an even better and free app to do the same thing these days???

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
But maybe there's an even better and free app to do the same thing these days???

- Patrick
=======
I have been using iMazing for ages. I think the free demo does backups but I don't remember for sure.

There is no real need for a separate free backup program. The Finder can be used to make backups of iPhones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.