can I run windows programs without spending alot of money?

A

andrewjc

I really need to install a PC program so I can do my math homework, but it is only compatible with windows 95 or higher, I went to compusa yesterday and virtual windows was like $249, after buying books on friday I definitly do not have that! is there another way?

OP
P

powercat

Try these:

1. Getting virtual PC Emulator - if expensive then look into iemulator - www.iemulator.com will give you cheaper to buy over the internet.

Regards

AussieDownUnder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
when i need to use pc only programs at my university i go to the computer labs where they have the programs....it sucks having to jump onto a windowz machine for a while, but it motivates you to get your work done as quickly as possible and back to your mac

-chris

OP
A

andrewjc

coach_z said:
when i need to use pc only programs at my university i go to the computer labs where they have the programs....it sucks having to jump onto a windowz machine for a while, but it motivates you to get your work done as quickly as possible and back to your mac

-chris

well. thats what i do right now, but i need to be able to work from home because i have a cousin i have to babysit daily, what is the cheapest way to do this?

OP
M

meltbanana314

What program are you using? Have you searched around for the Mac equivalent of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
andrewjc said:
well. thats what i do right now, but i need to be able to work from home because i have a cousin i have to babysit daily, what is the cheapest way to do this?
Instead of buying VPC, it would probably be cheaper to just buy a cheap older PC to run the program. You can find cheap Windows PCs for less than $100 all over the place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
What program is it that you need and what does it do (You can probably find a program that does what you are looking for on OS X)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
make a sub $100 pc and get a KVM switch

OP
A

andrewjc

whats a KVM switch
i have a PC, 1 gig ram 256mb gfx p4 2.8ghz but i wanted to be able to do homework on my laptop via the wireless internet at starbux, bookstores, my school, etc...

OP
M

meltbanana314

andrewjc said:
whats a KVM switch
i have a PC, 1 gig ram 256mb gfx p4 2.8ghz but i wanted to be able to do homework on my laptop via the wireless internet at starbux, bookstores, my school, etc...

This is a KVM switch: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...rKaJH3EaIVMR1Jj2UJq9/1.0.11.1.0.6.25.7.11.4.3

I recommend that you run your math program on your PC and use a program like Chicken of the VNC (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/) to remotely control your PC from your laptop.

Reaction score
I wouldn't plan on doing any great deal of work using Virtual PC, it is just too slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.