Can I run more than one app at a time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
I just saw a Droid commercial and got SUPER JEALOUS when they mentioned that it can run more than one app at a time. Is there any app on the app store that will give me the ability to run at least 2 or 3 apps at a time? I did a couple searches but didn't pull up anything close to what I'm looking for. I don't know if my key words were wrong or not.

If there is no app that will allow me to do this, is there any other way possible that can make this happen?

I haven't jailbroken in a long time and not sure if I want to do it again because it dramatically slowed down my phone, so I would like to avoid this option at all costs.

Thanks!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow! Thanks so much. I am SO EXCITED!!! BTW, LOVE the signature. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Glad I could cheer you up ! and thanx

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
clayneal:

US summer for touch/iphone and US autumn for ipad. There is a difference :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just read the specs on the iPhone OS 4.0...and "Multitasking" only works on the iPhone 3GS & iPod Touch 3rd generation (32 & 64 gig models)!:(

"Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
:Confused:
clayneal:

US summer for touch/iphone and US autumn for ipad. There is a difference :)

As the OP was talking about phone multitasking and not iPad multitasking I am not sure what you mean . And you made the same comment in another post ( that one about iPad ) where I said multitasking for the iPad was coming out in the fall. ? did I not get it right ?
Clay

WOW I just figured out what you are trying to tell me 8thark ! I can be such an idiot before my coffee ! You know we yanks forget that we are not the center of the universe ! LOL A fine point that summer / fall in the US is not the same as the rest of the world and I guess the opposite down under .
Ill leave my ramblings up as I made the mistake and ill live with it but sorry If I snapped at you .

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
No no. I just meant there is a difference for the release dates of 4.0 for ipad and for touch/iphone. And it's ok :) I just put in the US cause I tend to think of summer as christmas time. But for Apple it's mid year. It helps me remember.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 1st gen 8GB
I just read the specs on the iPhone OS 4.0...and "Multitasking" only works on the iPhone 3GS & iPod Touch 3rd generation (32 & 64 gig models)!:(

"Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 3GS and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

- Nick
Yeah I didn't like this very much either. I have a 1st gen touch and I can understand after several years it not being supported or not supporting new features. I can't upgrade to the new OS at all.

Backgrounder and Kirkae get the job done for me. Hopefully there will continue to be a lot of support for older hardware from jailbroken apps.

To the OP:
Just jailbreaking your phone alone shouldn't cause a dramatic slowdown I wouldn't think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Just jailbreaking your phone alone shouldn't cause a dramatic slowdown I wouldn't think. "

Correct. But if you want to use any of the jailbreak features, then you'll experience a slowdown. And jailbreak without using any jailbreak features is pretty pointless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod touch 1st gen 8GB
"Just jailbreaking your phone alone shouldn't cause a dramatic slowdown I wouldn't think. "

Correct. But if you want to use any of the jailbreak features, then you'll experience a slowdown. And jailbreak without using any jailbreak features is pretty pointless.

The OP stated that jailbreaking slowed down his phone dramatically.

Use the appropriate apps and I wouldn't expect that to cause a dramatic slowdown either. Mine is jailbroken (granted it's not an iPhone) and I have numerous apps installed multitasking without a noticeable slowdown. Sometimes I think the slowdowns get blamed on jailbreaking when in fact it could be the nature of the apps being used or just a bad jailbreak.

I haven't jailbroken in a long time and not sure if I want to do it again because it dramatically slowed down my phone, so I would like to avoid this option at all costs.

I think the iPhone OS has had a release or two that slowed things down until it was patched.

Like any software the jailbreaking software is going to have bugs from time to time but it get's patched a lot more frequently. If it's been a long time since you've jailbroken then it's pretty likely newer software will work better. I jailbroke early on and didn't care for it but the options have gotten more stable and user friendly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
I just saw a Droid commercial and got SUPER JEALOUS when they mentioned that it can run more than one app at a time.

Thanks!

Don't be jealous of the Droid. Obviously, the iPhone isn't perfect and there are things the Droid can do that it can't. However, the iPhone nails so many more things right. I tried using a Droid for about 30 minutes and was about to throw the thing out the window. I am a proficient phone user, I worked for Verizon for several years, and there just wasn't much intuitive or natural to the Droid. And the keyboard on it is a joke, both physical and virtual. To me, a bad keyboard is a complete deal breaker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, that seals it for me. No OS 4 for iPhone 3g means I ain't signing another two year contract with lousy ATT. I'll stick with my current JB iPhone 3g and go to Tmobile until I grab a Verizon/Android phone. If Verizon gets the iPhone, I'll think about it, but doubt it's going to happen.

Doug

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait, I had NO IDEA that the 3G couldn't get the OS 4!! Are you kidding me? No!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.