Can I put iTS TV Shows on an External HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Hey everyone.

My HD is getting ridiculously full (barely 4gbs of free space). The main culprit is my iTunes library, specifically all of my TV Shows. Can I put those onto my external HD and delete them off of my internal, and not have any problems? I'd like to buy Season 3 of Lost but I don't think I'll have room, so I need to move all of my Office off of my internal HD.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Hey everyone.

My HD is getting ridiculously full (barely 4gbs of free space). The main culprit is my iTunes library, specifically all of my TV Shows. Can I put those onto my external HD and delete them off of my internal, and not have any problems? I'd like to buy Season 3 of Lost but I don't think I'll have room, so I need to move all of my Office off of my internal HD.

Thanks for the help.

Don't see why not - the only problem is that the Itunes library is (in my own experience) a bit of a pain to move. The files are easy enough, but telling Itunes where thy went is kind of misterious . . . it might try to copy them all back to your local disk if you get it worng.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes you can. Turn off the option for iTunes to copy all files to it's default iTunes Library folder and then move them. Delete them from your iTunes Library and then add them back from the external drive. Once you have them back in iTunes, you can delete the originals from your internal drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.