Can I obtain Yosemite on a Disc

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
And best to check that the Flash drive has been formatted correctly first. ;)

Good advice....I didn't even think about that. :[

I know Flash drive size depends on what all I have on my hard drive, but is an 8GB flash drive typically large enough for a Snow Leopard iMac? And what about a typical Yosemite iMac.....can it be cloned on an 8GB flash drive?

And thanks to Nick for responding.........

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know Flash drive size depends on what all I have on my hard drive, but is an 8GB flash drive typically large enough for a Snow Leopard iMac? And what about a typical Yosemite iMac.....can it be cloned on an 8GB flash drive?

I just did a fresh install of Yosemite on a Mac-Mini (nothing else on HD)...and it's showing about 9.5gig used. So an 8gig flash drive may not be large enough.

Snow Leopard is a bit smaller. When Snow Leopard first came out (10.6.0) I think that the install size was around 5-6gig. But with updates to 10.6.8 over the years...Snow Leopard may have gotten larger. So I'm not 100% sure if an 8gig flash drive is large enough...or borderline.

But if you're going to "clone" something...you can check its size before cloning...and you will know for sure.

In either case...if you used a 16gig flash drive...you would be good to go...no problem.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Durango re you still looking for Yosemite?

I would offer to burn a copy to a thumb drive and mail it to you from Australia, but the problem is it would always be tied to my Apple ID and you would need the password to do system updates etc. as the download always belongs to the Apple ID that downloaded it so that is not a real solution.

I offered because of my intense hero worhsip of 'The Durango Kid', a must Saturday afternoon serial at the flicks, seventy years ago. It always amazed me the Kid jumped off the same rock each week onto the baddies and then knuckled them. They were pretty dumb them baddies taking the same track each week.

Oh for the days when a bit of knuckle by the goodies was not the victim of PC!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
Durango re you still looking for Yosemite?

I would offer to burn a copy to a thumb drive and mail it to you from Australia, but the problem is it would always be tied to my Apple ID and you would need the password to do system updates etc. as the download always belongs to the Apple ID that downloaded it so that is not a real solution.

I offered because of my intense hero worhsip of 'The Durango Kid', a must Saturday afternoon serial at the flicks, seventy years ago. It always amazed me the Kid jumped off the same rock each week onto the baddies and then knuckled them. They were pretty dumb them baddies taking the same track each week.

Oh for the days when a bit of knuckle by the goodies was not the victim of PC!

That is a nice offer, and I certainly do appreciate it. However, I plan on downloading it free from the App Store. I did purchase Snow Leopard and got it installed successfully. I'm now just waiting for my flash drives to arrive (I ordered 3 from Amazon) so I can do clones and bootable drives for both OS's.

And I do remember The Durango Kid, so I guess that dates us both. :Cool:

I totally agree with PC getting out of hand. If I was still raising my 3 kids, I would probably be in jail because when they deserved a spanking (NOT a beating), they got one.

But my moniker came from an SUV I owned several years ago - a Dodge Durango.

Thanks again for your offer.............

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am currently (as I write this) using SuperDuper to clone Snow Leopard before I upgrade to Yosemite, just in case I want to go back or in case of problems. I was also thinking about using DiskMaker X to create a 2nd bootable drive for Snow Leopard. But this may be unnecessary since I had to purchase the Snow Leopard disk.....isn't it a bootable disk, such that I don't need to use DiskMaker?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it is. When you were discussing cloning to a thumb drive, the guys may bhave thought you meant the OS Installer. Do you think it possible for your 30/40GB system would fit on a thumb drive, of 8GB. That is the size required for a Yosemite OS install.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the response. I was actually going to use a 32GB flash drive for the Yosemite clone. The Snow Leopard clone was 14.39GB in size on my 16GB flash drive, so I was hoping a 32GB drive would hold Yosemite, including scheduled updates. If it's a tight fit, I'll either use a 64GB flash drive or go buy me another external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess it depends what you have installed. My OS 10.10.2, running Office, Office 2015 Preiew, FF, Toast, DiskWarrior, TechTools anda couple of dozen photos in iPhoto, no iTunes nor movies, runs at just under 50GB. 49.67 to be precise.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess it depends what you have installed. My OS 10.10.2, running Office, Office 2015 Preiew, FF, Toast, DiskWarrior, TechTools anda couple of dozen photos in iPhoto, no iTunes nor movies, runs at just under 50GB. 49.67 to be precise.

Probably to start I will be OK, because I don't (yet) have Office on my iMac. However, I did request a copy of Office for Mac for my upcoming birthday, so I will probably exceed 32GB before too long. A 2nd external hard drive may be my best long-term answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh buddy sometimes what we ask for we don't get. Shame you can't hold out a few months as Office 2015 is on the way and some of us are beta testing it at the moment.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all the help I received on this thread, I am now up and running with Yosemite!!

The actual install of Yosemite went great.......took about 45 minutes. I was just a little (very) surprised that the download of the 5.1GB Yosemite installer took so long. At my typical download speed of 2Mbps, my math said it should have taken about 45 minutes rather than the 6 hours it actually took. But it was what it was, and I am OK with it all now.

Thanks to the good advice given herein, I did create a USB bootable installer using DiskMaker X before I installed Yosemite. Next I plan on creating a Yosemite clone using SuperDuper.

And before I did anything with Yosemite, I created a clone of my current OS, Snow Leopard. I didn't need to make a USB bootable installer because I had purchased the bootable installation disk for $19.99. I was playing it safe in case I ever wanted to go back to Snow Leopard.

Thanks again to all of you who offered such good advice and help..........

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got things sorted out. I'll admit that when you start a task like this and look at the steps involved it can appear daunting at firsts glance. Fortunately, I f you choose the right oder of things it isn't so daunting and the tools do most of the work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good man. Regarding Office 2012 you might like to try Libre Office which is freeware in the interim. It is largely cmpatible with Office.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
The actual install of Yosemite went great.......took about 45 minutes. I was just a little (very) surprised that the download of the 5.1GB Yosemite installer took so long. At my typical download speed of 2Mbps, my math said it should have taken about 45 minutes rather than the 6 hours it actually took. But it was what it was, and I am OK with it all now.

Apologies for being a math geek, but my maths says that is about spot on:

5.1GB x 1024 = 5,222.4 MB (convert GB to MB)
5,222.4 MB x 8 = 41,779.2 Mb (convert MBytes to Mbits)
41,779.2 / 2 = 20,889.6 (divide download by speed in Mbps to get duration in seconds)
20,889.6 / 3.660 = 5.7 (divide by 3,660 to convert from seconds to hours)

Factor in bandwidth used by framing, resend and the like and 6 hours is pretty good. I'd guess that you omitted the step of converting from bytes to bits as 5.7 hrs / 8 is roughly 43 mins?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apologies for being a math geek, but my maths says that is about spot on:

5.1GB x 1024 = 5,222.4 MB (convert GB to MB)
5,222.4 MB x 8 = 41,779.2 Mb (convert MBytes to Mbits)
41,779.2 / 2 = 20,889.6 (divide download by speed in Mbps to get duration in seconds)
20,889.6 / 3.660 = 5.7 (divide by 3,660 to convert from seconds to hours)

Factor in bandwidth used by framing, resend and the like and 6 hours is pretty good. I'd guess that you omitted the step of converting from bytes to bits as 5.7 hrs / 8 is roughly 43 mins?

And you are spot on.......that is indeed the step I missed. I forgot that B=bytes, and b=bits. What's really embarrassing :[ is that I have a BS degree in math/physics. But that was 50+ years ago and we didn't talk in bits & bytes. My computer was a K&E slide rule.

Thanks for your response.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I wonder why we bother with bytes at all these days. 8 bits to the byte stopped being relevant a long time ago unless there are internal register type factors which are still useful to programmers?

The Sega Mega Drive (Genesis for you colonial types) advertised itself as having '1 meg of memory' but that was mega bits, not mega bytes. Cheeky!

Reaction score
I posted the following as part of a different thread, complaining how I had problems downloading Mountain Lion.

This seems like an even better thread for it.

The purchase of Mountain Lion was a nightmare. None of which
was caused by me. Just trying to find the download site was a nightmare, then Apple
sent me a licensing agreement that looked like the download itself.

It took a competent tech support woman 30 minutes to realize we couldn't figure it out.
Finally she had to hook me up directly to the App store. In all, tech support & I
wasted a good 1.5 hours of our time trying to get this done.

My suggestion to Apple: Either simplify the process of ordering 'and downloading'
customers software purchases, or spend a couple bucks & make a cd/dvd available.

Your 'net' profit was 18 billion last quarter (which as a shareholder, makes me happy)
so I think you could afford it. How hard could it be to give foxconn a call & have them
stamp out a couple million cd's/dvd's ?

If you won't do that, charge me for it. Say 5 bucks. I would much rather pay the extra
than go through that again.

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? More strange mac-forums happenings it seems and I just got this email, but I sure don't see anything like it posted..

September 23, 2015
"Dear pm-r,

WindowsHat3r has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Can I obtain Yosemite on a Disc - in the OS X - Operating System forum of Mac Forums.

This thread is located at:
http://www.mac-forums.com/os-x-operating-system/322112-obtain-yosemite-disc-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
You can burn the Yosemite OS to a disk

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
Mac Forums

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The message was deleted due to its content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OK, and thanks for the info. I thought it might have been some other goof up with the latest site and forums problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.