Can I move my system to a different disk?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I have 2 x 160gb disks, and 2 x 250gb disks.

The system is on a 250gb disk. I prefer to leave the system disk for apps etc, and use the others for data.

It's a waste of space to have the system on a 250gb drive, as even with a bootcamp partition I'm only using 100gb of it.

I want to maove the system to one of the 160gb drives, and use the 250 for data.

Is there an easier way than reinstalling everything? If I can empty one of the 160s, can I clone the contents of the current system drive and put it on the new one, then get the system to use that (preferable without trashing bootcamp).

[edit] Trying carbon copy cloner. Will report back with results . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I was going to sat CarbonCopyCloner, but your already there. Make sure you check the option to make the copied system bootable.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I was going to sat CarbonCopyCloner, but your already there. Make sure you check the option to make the copied system bootable.

Yup - seems to have done it perfectly. Booted fine. I haven't tried moving the bootcamp partition yet, but I'm happy to trash that, I haven't really got round to doing much with it anyway.

That wasn't too hard . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.