Can I make boot disk from 10.10.2 preinstalled

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.4GHz, 500 gig
Brand new Mac user here. Please forgive my ignorance.

Is it possible to create a boot disk or drive from OS X 10.10.2 preinstalled from the store? I bought the iMac new and know the importance of creating safety nets right off the bat from having used Windows for years. However, it seems that all of the info I have found for doing this is for when you are upgrading or downloading the system to install.

Can this be done from a Mac straight out of the box?

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Brand new Mac user here. Please forgive my ignorance.

Is it possible to create a boot disk or drive from OS X 10.10.2 preinstalled from the store? I bought the iMac new and know the importance of creating safety nets right off the bat from having used Windows for years. However, it seems that all of the info I have found for doing this is for when you are upgrading or downloading the system to install.

Can this be done from a Mac straight out of the box?

Hello and welcome to the forum - Yosemite has a hidden 'recovery partition' that you can boot into, if needed; also, if you have the Yosemite install package (likely deleted), then a bootable USB drive could be made - directions HERE.

BUT, you should quickly establish a backup plan, and the first two suggestions are: 1) Purchase an external HD (of good size) - Western Digitals are often recommended here - and dedicate it to Apple's Time Machine, which is built into the OS; however, it is not bootable; and so 2) Purchase another external HD and use cloning software - there are 2 or 3 often suggested, but I am using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) - this will make a cloned bootable duplicate of your computer's internal drive.

I actually have more external HDs and duplicate each of those procedures for both my MBPro and iMac - in addition, I further backup personal files (music, docs, photos) to another external SSD on the laptop and to Carbonite online for the desktop machine - maybe a little paranoid but external HDs do fail (20% @ 4 yrs and possibly 50% @ 6 yrs). Good luck - Dave :)

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 1.4GHz, 500 gig
Thanks RadDave. I had already been planning on getting an external. But I will follow your advice and get two. One for Time Machine and another for CCC. I have had too many disastrous experiences in the past where I have lost everything.

So, just so I fully understand, with this method I would not need to specifically generate a dedicated boot disk? It is all manageable from CCC and Time Machine?

Thanks again for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone SE 3rd Gen
If it helps I have been using CCC for about a year and it is brilliant.

Once you have cloned your HD to your CCC external drive you can make sure the back up is OK by leaving it connected and booting your Mac from it. It takes a bit longer than booting from the internal HD but once done you can see it's ok and actually run your Mac from it.

Excellent software with great support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.