Can I create an Apple ID, delete my old one, then change email on the new ID to the one used on my old?

Reaction score
Okay.. Why would I do that?

I just bought and received my first iPhone, but I can't remember the password for the Apple ID I created 4 years ago for an iPad I sold again shortly after. The recovery process takes 13 days, and calling their support doesn't help me. I don't get the option to answer any security questions except for the pin on the iPad (which I don't remember after 4 years).

An option is to create a new Apple ID and use that, but I want my ID linked to my actual email. So hence my question:
Can I create a new Apple ID, use it for 2 weeks, then when I have access to my old Apple ID I delete the old one, thus unlinking my email address/making it not in use, and then change the email address on my new Apple ID to my actual email?

I hope I explained it thoroughly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Can I create a new Apple ID, use it for 2 weeks, then when I have access to my old Apple ID I delete the old one, thus unlinking my email address/making it not in use, and then change the email address on my new Apple ID to my actual email?

You can create a new Apple ID with a new password. But I believe Apple will not allow you to change the email address to your actual email.

You actually will be better off waiting the 13 days and recover your original Apple ID with a new password. Assuming the original Apple ID was linked to your email address, you should then be okay.

OP
S
Reaction score
That is an annoying way to spend money. I will have to wait then.

Do you know how waiting for almost two weeks will make it more secure to recover an ID?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That is an annoying way to spend money. I will have to wait then.

Do you know how waiting for almost two weeks will make it more secure to recover an ID?

I think that the whole point here is that an Apple ID and it’s password is the most precious thing in Mac computing terms. It is so important that Apple goes to extreme lengths to protect it from attack or theft.

In return, Apple, reasonably, expects the owner to save the password securely along with passcodes for any iDevices.

If a person does not save the password securely and forgets it, then Apple will go to extreme lengths to be sure that the account is restored to the rightful owner. This is even more necessary if the owner has also forgotten the passcode for another device and/or is unable to answer the security questions.

The 14 days allows them to make enquiries to be sure you are who you say you are.

Lessons can be learnt from your unfortunate experience.

I agree with our Admin, chscag, that it is far better to see out the 13 days than create a new Apple ID which is almost certainly not going to be associated with an old one, already the subject of an investigation.

Ian

OP
S
Reaction score
I will wait the days out. Luckily I'm a patient man, I just wanted to be sure I couldn't do anything.

Thank you both for your answers :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I will wait the days out. Luckily I'm a patient man, I just wanted to be sure I couldn't do anything.

Thank you both for your answers :)
Do you teach that skill somewhere? I might have to sign up for the course. :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Practice to look out the window and go to slumber mode with open eyes. When you can do this, then you can look directly at anything and not sense anything else, than what you waited for suddenly appears. The concept has been called "To Sune out", my first name is Sune, so.... I have talent, or something.

Of course, I'm not going to look out the window for 12 days. I'll probably get myself busy with something else. That's also a solution to be less impatient ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Of course, I'm not going to look out the window for 12 days. I'll probably get myself busy with something else. That's also a solution to be less impatient

LOL, I like your attitude. Please let us know when things get settled and if we can provide any more assistance. Thanks for being a member.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.