Can I change size of Virtual Hard Drive?

Reaction score
I am using Parallels and using it with the expanding hard drive option. The hard drive is set up for 32 gigs. In the Parallels screen it shows I"m only using 19 gigs. When I go into Windows XP it shows 11 gigs used, 20 gigs free. I'm not sure of the reason for the difference but either way I don't plan to install anymore software and possibly uninstall some from Windows. Is there any way I can change the size of this virtual hard drive to make it smaller? I tried using the compact option but it didn't make any difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I am using Parallels and using it with the expanding hard drive option. The hard drive is set up for 32 gigs. In the Parallels screen it shows I"m only using 19 gigs. When I go into Windows XP it shows 11 gigs used, 20 gigs free. I'm not sure of the reason for the difference but either way I don't plan to install anymore software and possibly uninstall some from Windows. Is there any way I can change the size of this virtual hard drive to make it smaller? I tried using the compact option but it didn't make any difference.

Yes - launch parallels and you should see the title screen with the details of your virtual machine (Memory, HDD size, CD/DVD details etc).

On here, just click where it says 'Hard Disk 1; 32000MB' and you can change the size from there. Note, the virtual machine cannot be active or suspended, you must shut it down properly from within the machine (i.e. shut down windows).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.