Can any1 help with driver modification

Reaction score
Hi! Here's the issue. I'm an electronic musician and I use different devices, some of them are already discontinued but still the best on the market. One of those boxes has an option to work as audio\midi interface which is great. But manufacturer decided to stop supporting this line and the last released driver was for OS 10.8 and windows 8. I dag a bit and solved the problem with windows 8.1 incompatibility just by editing one file in the driver package - there was a line "Windows 8 supported" so I copied this line, changed 8 for 8.1 and bingo! Now on windows machine it works perfectly. But on mac I'm not sure I'm able to do this trick. I've extracted the file Distribution from the pkg and found there a script which had some kind of rules for system compatibility. There is some jibber-jabber but I've found the line "10.9 ... not supported... return 'true'" or something like this. I tried of course to simply change numbers but was not able to pack this file back to the pkg. And I'm totally not into console commands and programming - that's just not for my brain size:) So I wonder if someone who knows that stuff can check the file and maybe edit it and send me back, if it's not too complicated. I'll be extremely thankful, and then I'll send it to other dudes who use this gear so it'll be just a huge network happiness! I can't publish the file here or name the manufacturer (just in case) so if someone can help, i'll send you details privately. Thanx in advance!
PS: guys who made this device are *******s: they do this incompatibility on purpose, cause they want to sell their new creepy instruments, but unfortunately they already had done their best in the past, and all the new stuff was worse and worse with every new release:(

By the way I am on Mavericks, if it helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It would help tremendously if you could tell us what this device is and provide a link to the software you are using.

OP
B
Reaction score
The problem solved! Instead of modifying the driver I've edited systemversion.plist file, changed 10.9 to 10.8 and successfully installed the driver. The device works as it should! Then I've changed system version back

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem solved! Instead of modifying the driver I've edited systemversion.plist file, changed 10.9 to 10.8 and successfully installed the driver. The device works as it should! Then I've changed system version back

Nice little trick! As an FYI, this sort of thing might not work so well with Yosemite and later due to more stringent sandboxing rules. There are ways to hack around that... I discovered one for my neighbor who couldn't get his printer to function under Yosemite. I don't recall what the command was, but the Terminal command was used to "relax" the sandboxing rules for that particular driver. Keep this in mind if you upgrade and run into hiccups.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, will try to keep in mind! I'm not going to upgrade for a while, some soft I use is not yet well compatible with Yosemite, but anyway one day it's gonna happen:)

Reaction score
do you still have this file

I'm trying to get my SP555 to work with Mac 10.9 and wondered if you could talk me through exactly how to do this as I don't understand how to get into the code

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to edit the systemversion.plist file you will need a plist editor application. This file (and any plist file) can not be edited like a normal text file as that will destroy the integrity of the file. First do a search for a plist editor and use it to open the systemversion.plist file and make the change. Always backup the original before editing!

Reaction score
I know this is a dead thread, but can anyone help me please!

In order to edit the systemversion.plist file you will need a plist editor application. This file (and any plist file) can not be edited like a normal text file as that will destroy the integrity of the file. First do a search for a plist editor and use it to open the systemversion.plist file and make the change. Always backup the original before editing!

So whenever I try and back up the plist, by copying it, it automatically renames the file PreviousSystemVersion.plist, is that a problem? All this stuff is new to me. Should I be using the plist editor to backup the original file? I have Mac OS 10.15.
Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So whenever I try and back up the plist, by copying it, it automatically renames the file PreviousSystemVersion.plist, is that a problem? All this stuff is new to me. Should I be using the plist editor to backup the original file? I have Mac OS 10.15.
Thank you in advance!

What are you trying to accomplish? Catalina is significantly more secure than previous versions of OS X so these workarounds talked about previously are unlikely to work.

Reaction score
I was trying to edit the plist so it would allow the most recent Roland sp555 driver to run, since the company stopped updating it at OS 10.8.
Thanks for the reply!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was trying to edit the plist so it would allow the most recent Roland sp555 driver to run, since the company stopped updating it at OS 10.8.
Thanks for the reply!

I wouldn't expect this to be possible. Apple has gradually tightened up security in macOS and Catalina is more locked down than ever. It sounds like Catalina is detecting the change to the plist and restoring a "proper" one. I would write this off and roll back to Mojave if it worked for you in that and plan on finding a replacement for the Roland in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.