Camera Card Reader

B

biggerstronger

I searched the forums and couldn't find an adequate explanation, so here it goes.

I am using my girlfriends digital camera and the flash card goes into a USB reader, no way to connect camera directly to PowerBook. But anyway, the reader doesn't show up anywhere, any ideas? And while I'm at it, I tried connecting her Digital Camcorder to my PowerBook using a USB cable because I am short a firewire cable, and it didn't show up as an external drive either. Is there something wrong with my laptop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
are these items compatible with os x? did you look in system profiler to see if they were being recognized as connected? have you tried using an app like image capture to read the card?

OP
B

biggerstronger

hmmm...

Yes, it does show up in system profiler, but I'm not sure if it's a OSX compatible device. Image capture doesn't pick it up. I do know that Windows XP detects it in Virtual PC, even when I turn that device off for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would check the manufacturers site for compatibility and drivers.

OP
B

biggerstronger

hmm...

The picture card reader has a minimum requirement of OS 9 and it has software drivers for it on their site.

The digital camcoder however says it's OSX friendly, and the only downloads it has is for a quick image editing program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you tried using imovie to import the video?

OP
B

biggerstronger

hmmm...

iMovie only imports video when you are using a firewire cable. If you are using USB, you have to copy the contents of the drive onto your hard disk and then import it into iMovie. But the digital camcorder isn't showing up...so...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.