C Compiler

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook - 2.00GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB hard drive - Superdrive 6x
I don't know if this is where I should post this or not but anyway... My lovely new black MacBook is supposed to be here on friday! The problem is that I'm a computer science major and am currently taking a C programming class. We are using microsoft visual C++ compiler, and I'm not quite sure how I'm going to use my mac for such things. I really don't want windows on my mac at all. But I guess if worse comes to worse, I'll use Parallels. does anyone have any suggestions? I just need a basic C or C++ compiler that is cross platform compatible I guess (if there is such a thing) I really have no idea. HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi girgroupie47, Welcome to Mac Forums!!

You can install GNU C++ (gcc) on your machine. It is available on your Mac OS X install DVD, in the Optional Installs area. I have done this and it works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB, Mac Pro 2.66Ghz 3GB X1900.
If your classes teach you ANSI C and use the standard C libraries like stlib then you will be fine.

You typically type "cc sourcefile.c"

Where you will struggle is if your course requires you do use Windows APIs or any visual development. You will have to do similar things on the Mac using XCode and hope the university are symapthetic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There's a program from a company called codeweavers that allows you to install and run windows apps on you Mac natively. I think I saw Visual Studio on their list of compatible apps. It's probably a good option and cheaper/easier to use than Parallels.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

OP
girgroupie47
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook - 2.00GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB hard drive - Superdrive 6x
thanks everyone

We do use stuff from the standard libraries (conio.h, stdio.h) but we aren't doing any kind of GUIs or anything like that. So if I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like GCC will work great. (thank god! I really don't want windows on my nice new mac) It's supposed to come tomorrow, I have been glued to FedEx's website, tracking it since Saturday (is that weird?) Anyway thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8-Core
Nope, I have been checking my tracking every minute lol. Still got 2 days!!
Good luck with the C++, sooo glad I done it 6 years ago and never have to go back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.