Buying used Macbook

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to purchase a used macbook (white 2009) version type as a gift to my sister for college.

I'm looking to spend less than $400. But I was looking for a reputable company to go with, one that may be able to offer an additional warranty.

Any vendor you guys recommend?

C

chas_m

For a 2009? No, I don't think you're going to find a company that offers anything beyond maybe a 30-day warranty.

I'm assuming your sister's computer needs are incredibly basic if you're giving her a nearly six-year-old computer. Don't get me wrong, if you can find one in good condition they are capable machines, but ... six years old and all the inherent limitations that implies.

As far as reputable dealers that might deal with something so out-of-date, I'd look to something like Ebay or Amazon and check offerings from companies with high ratings.

OP
A
Reaction score
For a 2009? No, I don't think you're going to find a company that offers anything beyond maybe a 30-day warranty.

I'm assuming your sister's computer needs are incredibly basic if you're giving her a nearly six-year-old computer. Don't get me wrong, if you can find one in good condition they are capable machines, but ... six years old and all the inherent limitations that implies.

As far as reputable dealers that might deal with something so out-of-date, I'd look to something like Ebay or Amazon and check offerings from companies with high ratings.

Thanks, yeah that's what I figured I saw some on amazon and some company mac of all trades.

Honestly, all she will need is the occasional word processor and anything that lets her do skype and facebook surfing etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Honestly, all she will need is the occasional word processor and anything that lets her do skype and facebook surfing etc.

Sounds like an iPad would be OK for her? Have you looked at any?

OP
A
Reaction score
Sounds like an iPad would be OK for her? Have you looked at any?

I did and we have a Samsung Galaxy tab in the house already. But I think she would need to type and do some printing occasionally, so it might be better for her to have a macbook/laptop.

I was thinking something along the lines of the below. I was also also wondering, if she needs to download flash and other programs for college use would she be able to with this old OS? I know my macbook pro is 10.6 and I have been unable to download some programs (like reading MRI's) because of it. Just want to double check. thanks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013FRA0O/?tag=macforums0e4-20

OP
A
Reaction score

I was also wondering if you guys have any experience on the SquareTrade warranty for 2 years? yay or nay?

Apple MacBook 13 3" Late 2009 Unibody 2 26GHz Core 2DUO 4GB DDR3 250GB MC207LL A | eBay

C

chas_m

I just sold my own 2009 Unibody MBP. It was a very solid machine in every department but graphics. The graphics would struggle with things like Google Earth. I also maxed out the RAM to 8GB on it, which made Mavericks run very well.

If I'd wanted to invest more money into it, I would have added an SSD. Instead I bought a 2012 MBP (almost identical, internally and externally) and loaded up the RAM and man it's nice.

OP
A
Reaction score
I just sold my own 2009 Unibody MBP. It was a very solid machine in every department but graphics. The graphics would struggle with things like Google Earth. I also maxed out the RAM to 8GB on it, which made Mavericks run very well.

If I'd wanted to invest more money into it, I would have added an SSD. Instead I bought a 2012 MBP (almost identical, internally and externally) and loaded up the RAM and man it's nice.

hey,
i might be able to increase my budget to like $500 for a solid reliable MBP, would you recommend anyone to buy a used one from?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i might be able to increase my budget to like $500 for a solid reliable MBP, would you recommend anyone to buy a used one from?

Depending where you live…eBay or Craig's List.

If you feel that you need to go with a "vendor"…you're going to pay MUCH more for it…and get a lot less for your money. And these vendors…will usually only give like a 30-90 warranty against defects.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Depending where you live…eBay or Craig's List.

If you feel that you need to go with a "vendor"…you're going to pay MUCH more for it…and get a lot less for your money. And these vendors…will usually only give like a 30-90 warranty against defects.

- Nick

i tried craigslist and i found someone selling it for $460 its from 2010. the only thing i worry about is that you don't know if someone has spilled anything on it or if they are bad users etc.

is this an ok price?

i forgot to mention, I live in Orange County, CA near LA so a lot of crooks locally. just don't want to get her something that will break down or worse explode in flames.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i tried craigslist and i found someone selling it for $460 its from 2010. the only thing i worry about is that you don't know if someone has spilled anything on it or if they are bad users etc.

There is risk with just about everything we do in life. If you want to reduce risk…and want a warranty...buy a brand new computer.:) But if you have a small budget…need to purchase a used computer…then you gotta do what ya gotta do. And even if you purchase from some sort of online vendor/store…there's no guarantees there either (and you're going to pay up to 2x too much for it).

is this an ok price?

I'm not going to get into price evaluations. You didn't even provide compete specs for this computer.

i forgot to mention, I live in Orange County, CA near LA so a lot of crooks locally. just don't want to get her something that will break down or worse explode in flames.

There are lots of crooks everywhere…but many many more good people.:) I just purchased an iPad 3 from someone via Craig's List just yesterday (24 hours ago). Very good, honest person. Would definitely buy from them again!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I purchased a macbook 2009 for around $300 on eBay. I wanted to use it as a learning tool that I could play with without worrying I would lose something if I messed it up. It was not from a vendor and I was able to upgrade it to 8GB of memory. It ran really well for a dual core processor and we loaded Mavericks on it with no problems.

It really comes down to taking a chance although eBay offers some protections. I look for a person wanting to sell something they no longer want but is in great condition. I do look for at least a money back offer if the computer has a problem.

It takes patience and a willingness to look for a good deal. Also a knowledge of what you are looking for and what the going is price helps. I bought both my 2011 MB Pro and 2013 MB Air off of eBay. I put a square trade 2 year warrantee on the 2011 MB Pro. There is a delay before it is in force - don't remember how many days though. The MB Air came with Apple Care included until 2015.

I have had to send in a computer on a square trade warrantee. Excellent service, fast 4 day turnaround and it came back in perfect working order. They even did a followup and when I ask what they had to replace - the screen had gone out of an acer laptop, he actually called me back and gave me a full report.

Lisa

OP
A
Reaction score
macbook pro details for $460 mid-2010

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
250GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive
8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
iSight camera
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks for the responses guys, im just a panicked person lol

id love to get a good deal on ebay but i hate using the paypal thing

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
250GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard disk drive
8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
iSight camera
NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory
13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors
AirPort Extreme 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) wireless technology
Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)

The 8gig of ram is nice...but $460 is too much. Personally...I wouldn't pay more than $250-$300.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C

chas_m

Have never heard anything good about Mac of All Trades. We usually recommend Apple's own refurbs as the best possible "used" value, since Apple sends out really top-quality stuff and covers it with the same one year of AppleCare as a new machine, and offers the opportunity to buy extended AppleCare as with the new machines.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks guys, he apparently sold it already. Regarding the apple refurbished deals, they are out of my budget.

I dont think they have the macbook unibody from 2010 anyhow either.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks guys, he apparently sold it already. Regarding the apple refurbished deals, they are out of my budget.

I dont think they have the macbook unibody from 2010 anyhow either.

Nope. Apple would have stopped stocking 2010 MacBook's a long time ago. Usually…you won't find any computer models in the refurbished area more than 1-2 years old. And usually not more than 1 year old.

You just got to keep shopping Craig's List. Many times what you want (or can afford) won't be there. You just got to keep looking…and not be in a hurry.;) You can shop eBay too. But many times you will pay more than Craig's List (if you're shopping smart on CL).:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.