Buying Used Mac Safely

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
I'm currently looking to buy a used mac mini and have found several. Some seem to be to good to be true. My question is what can I do to make sure I'm not buying a HOT machine?

Reaction score
Make sure you get the original install media that came with the machine (assuming it's not Mavericks or Yosemite).
I think you can also look up the serial number online (I may be wrong about this).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My question is what can I do to make sure I'm not buying a HOT machine?

I've purchased a lot of used Mac's over the years. I'm not really sure there is a way. Pretty much think of a used computer like a lot of other things purchased used…it is what it is.

Sure…computers have serial numbers…I just don't think that there's a universal way to report stolen computers for easy lookups. Besides...I think that the percent of stolen computers out there is pretty small.

Something of equal (or maybe more importance)…make sure the computer works 100% before you buy it (especially since it's a desktop computer). I'm absolutely convinced…the percent of computers sold with issues FAR EXCEEDS the percent of stolen computers being sold.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Craig is correct about looking up the serial number on line, however, that won't tell you if the machine has been stolen or not. It just gives you the full nomenclature. Best to contact Apple if you have the serial number and maybe even your local law enforcement authorities to see if it shows up on any stolen property lists.

Of course the best insurance against buying a stolen machine is to see the original purchase receipt from the seller.

OP
zyepod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies. I was just a worried I'd get one and upon trying to reload the operating system run into issues. Turns out the ones I was interested in was already sold and both told me where they bought them from QuiBids... Turns out they were more interested getting me signed up for QuiBids than really selling me a computer. At least that's the way it looked to me. They were ridiculously cheap ($200) bought in 2013...

C

chas_m

If the price is too good to be true ... you're right, it's too good to be true! In particular stay far away from QuiBids.

Most trusted source of legit used computers is your local Mac User Group. You should also look at refurbs from the Apple Store -- not just legit, they come with full warranties just like new!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Turns out they were more interested getting me signed up for QuiBids than really selling me a computer. At least that's the way it looked to me. They were ridiculously cheap ($200) bought in 2013...

Yes…this/these computers never existed…it was all about whatever they were spamming. You shouldn't even bother with this stuff. The chances that a deal like this is true is probably 1 in 10,000 or more.

And if it really & very rarely was true…you would be competing with EVERYONE in a 50 mile area!!!;)

Lastly. If this computer was stolen. Most criminals know the value of things. They'd be selling it for closer to it's current used value (just enough less for it to sell fast).

- Nick

OP
zyepod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes…this/these computers never existed…it was all about whatever they were spamming. You shouldn't even bother with this stuff. The chances that a deal like this is true is probably 1 in 10,000 or more.

And if it really & very rarely was true…you would be competing with EVERYONE in a 50 mile area!!!;)

Lastly. If this computer was stolen. Most criminals know the value of things. They'd be selling it for closer to it's current used value (just enough less for it to sell fast).

- Nick

Your absolutely correct Nick. I'm just glad I checked into QuiBids before giving my credit card to em... They're history now. Lesson learned.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.