Buying new vs used?

Reaction score
I am selling my newly-built Core i5 gaming PC in order to get a MacBook for college. I will be getting the student discount from either Best Buy or Apple, (provided they don't need proof of enrollment, as I have none), so the MacBook would end up being $930ish after taxes.

Now, if I buy used, I'm looking at machines that are far inferior, even if they aren't that old, as their retail prices were higher than this gen's MacBook. They also won't come with any sort of warranty. But they would be cheaper. A gal on craigslist contacted me about her 2.16GHz MacBook with a 160GB internal (needs reformatted; she said it crashed), 250GB external, and 2GB of RAM. now, I'm thinking... This may be a good deal even if I have to replace the HDD, as they're about $100 at otherworldcomputing.com, and maybe less elsewhere. She is asking $550 for it. For $400 more I could have a brand new MacBook (that matches my iPhone too!). ;)

What do you guys think? I'll be majoring in Finance and Communication. Lots of spreadsheet, presentations, etc. No gaming, except maybe The Sims 3, if I ever get back to that game again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Just based on the "it crashed".... forget about it!
New is always going to be the go, esp due to the warranty.
Buying second hand electronic equipment from private sellers who offer no warranty is always going to be hit and miss, esp when it comes to (portables) laptops.
What you may want to do is keep your eye on the Apple site at refurbished units, as they come as new with full warranty, but, I doubt you will find a low end Macbook for much cheaper than you will get with the student discount. The site usually has high end Macs heavily discounted starting at around $1000.
I think this gen's Mac is a great entry level price for what you are getting, and you wouldn't regret it.
Down the line, before the 12month Warranty expires, you have the option to purchase Applecare, for a further 2yrs Warranty.
At the end of the day, saving is great, unless by trying to save it ends up costing you more!

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks so much. Another person emailed me.
I have VMware Fusion available, as well as Windows XP professional that can either be installed as a virtual machine in Fusion or Dual boot with bootcamp.

I can also include:

Microsoft Office 2008

Senuti - iTunes backwards - transfer music from your ipod to your computer*

Toast 8 - CD/DVD burning software*

Aperture - photo management / editing software

Boxee - Media Center software

MacTheRipper - dvd ripping software

iSquint - change dvd image to .m4a video that will play on iPod

Tinkertool - system management software*

The hard drive is a 250GB drive I had installed to replace the original 80GB drive

The battery was replaced about 2 months ago with a brand new battery from Apple

I also have a new neoprene sleeve for the computer, and a cooling mat that I'll throw in.*

There is also a blue speck case that I put on right after I got it to protect from scratches.

Thanks,

Sounds pretty awesome. He said he had to send it Apple to replace the Ethernet port and battery. He wants $750 tho.
Edit: it's a 2GHz, 2GB model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Buy new or refurb and get Apple Care then you are covered for 3 yrs.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Sounds a little fishy when people include software with the purchase. Unless they are actually giving you the Software CD I wouldn't consider it. ::CoughPiracyCough:: >_>""

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My advice - only buy used if;
you get to see actual Pic AND is first owner AND still has all original packaging AND comes complete with Disks AND still has some of warranty to run. If u miss on one of those items - flag it.
If all those fit then talk to person on phone before handing over cash or if it is too difficult then default on purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,
Have you considered buying a refurbished mac instead of a "used" one... they are a bit cheaper than buying a new one, however they still go through the quality control of Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.