Buying Mac Mini for replacing Macbook

Reaction score
Hi, it's my first time here

I spilled some amount of milk on Macbook's keyboard (Macbook 12inch, 2015)

so i brouhght it to Apple Store,

I was infromed that first they should change the topcase(keyboard, trackpad, battery)

and there might be a possibility of replacing the logic board

after a week I got a phone call from the store, saying the logic board was little bit damaged by the liquid

because of that, the battery recognition is bad so sometimes unexpeted things could happen like unexpected shutdown

this is the story and now I got 3 options

1. replacing every part damaged of the Macbook, which costs around $1000

2. replacing just topcase(keyboard, trackpad, battery), which costs around $400

3. buying Mac Mini, which costs $780

oh, also while wating, i bought iPad pro 10.5 because of this, the situation is little bit tricky

my purpose of using macbook was internet surfing, shopping, coding(python), document(with ms word) it was enough for me, and this iPad is powerful enough to do those thing so i don't feel like having a new Macbook but there are things i need to do with mac or pc such as just having a central computer, and coding(Python...), doing Unity Engine(I am planing)

I need opinions of other about this problem. Please give some

p.s for the display for using Mac Mini, I have Samsung 55KS8000. I know this is too big for the size, and the resolution, well i think it's ok but is it that big?

p.s I am considering the middle tier of Mac mini, is this working for doing Unity Engine?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I would not repair the MacBook if it costs $1000 for repairs. Sell it on eBay for parts instead and use the money to buy either the Mini or another MacBook. Since you have an iPad Pro, you can use that in the meantime to get on the internet. NOTE: You will not be able to use MS Word to edit documents on your new iPad Pro unless you buy an Office 365 license. Since you already have a Samsung display, the Mini is probably a better choice.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for your replying, i have similar opinions, it seems that that way is better way

oh also i have already purchased office 365

just.... what i am worried about is the size of TV don't you think it's too big

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Don't worry about the size of your TV as long as you have the correct cables and adapter - connector you should be OK. A large screen is better.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Agree with what chscag mentioned above. The cost of repairing a damaged Apple computer (many times) is not worth it...especially if it's an older computer (more than 1-2 years old)...just too much depreciation.

In your case it sounds like you purchased an iPad Pro (for portability needs) and you're looking for a Mac-Mini for other computing needs.

To be honest...it sounds like your 12" MacBook was fulfilling all your needs...thus it would seem to me that it would be best if you got another single electronic device to satisfy those same needs. When you total up the cost of both an iPad Pro and a Mac-Mini...I'm betting that total amount of money would get you a decent MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air.

If I'm missing something (or something important wasn't mentioned above)...that makes two devices better than a single device (for your needs)...please let us know.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
refurbished imac 21.5(2015) vs macbooc(12" 2015)

before, i worte here. My 2015 12inch macbook has been damaged by liquid

if i want to use that, i need to replace almost everything, which costs around $1300CAD

at the same time after that damage, i bought ipad pro 10.5, which is almost replacing the macbook for me except some sort of stuff(itunes, acting as a main computer, unity engine)

so i am looking at some models, and i found refurbished imac 21.5 (2015), which costs $1200CAD

for me now, what makes me confused is

1. the price for both is almost same

2. even though the imac has much better spec than the macbook, it's screen is not that good

3. the imac's storage is not SSD (actually, i found the way of external SSD)

honestly, with the ipad pro, i don't think i will use the macbook more than iPad, that's because i am not a heavy user so the spec of the 2015 macbook was enough for me(which is why ipad pro 10.5 satisfies me) what i am not sure about is that with almost same price, the spec of the imac is that much better than the macbook? what i expect from mac are 'just being a central computer', 'a little doing of Unity Engine' (I don't worry about the portability cuz of the ipad pro)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As I mentioned in the other thread. I think you would be best off if you could return the iPad Pro ($$$)...plus take the $$$ you were going to spend on a new Mac-mini...and get yourself a single good spec'ed MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air. This would satisfy your computing needs and your portability needs.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's keep this thread all together as one rather than two. Combined them both here.

Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi deongun.ru

To be fair, I did not know that you have opened another thread nor found or read it; but from what you've posted here - and especially your last post - I conclude that: EDIT - Since typing this and trying to post, the threads have been merged.

1. You are committed to keeping your iPad Pro (10.5 inch, therefore I assume the latest, 2017 model).

2. That is a very expensive piece of kit, but also a very worthy performer which, with iOS 11, has huge potential for the future.

3. Your MacBook is dead and the iPad Pro is providing you with an alternative that is both portable and meets most of the demands of your MacBook.

4. From the above, the only logical choice is a desktop iMac and the 21.5 model has better specs than your MacBook, much more screen real estate and is, apparently, within your budget.

Thus I am confused by your confusion:D

Desktops are always cheaper than their Notebook equivalents - more room for the hardware, easier to keep cool and so on. So it is no surprise that the 21.5 iMac is about the same price as repairing your damaged MacBook. Screen resolution seems irrelevant to me given that you have the iPad Pro (HiRes) and just want your "other" Mac for routine duties.

If you have the resources, this the way to go. But what Admin Nick said makes more financial sense - that is, until you commit to keeping the iPad Pro.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.