Buying first IMac, alot of questions

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So if I am reading this correctly I have 3 months to purchase Apple Care.

That's not 100% the correct message to glean from that MacWorld quote. Yes the numbers are correct. But that quote does not say WHEN Applecare needs to be purchased to specifically extend phone support.

To the best of my knowledge…you can still purchase Applecare anytime within the first 12 months to get the extended coverage of the Applecare warranty. But if someone waited 12 months to do this…they WOULD NOT get 3 years of free phone support. To get the full 3 years of free phone support…you need to purchase Applecare within 30, 60, or 90 days.

I think that Apple is purposely being "foggy" on this detail…because Apple wants folks to purchase the additional Applecare at the same time as the computer purchase (instead of waiting). Because they know if folks wait…some folks may decide not to purchase the additional Applecare.

I definitely know that to get the full 3 years of free phone support…the extended Applecare needs to be purchased at some point before 90 days. It could be 90 days, it could be 60 days, or it could be 30 days. This is the detail I was not able to 100% confirm…so I didn't want to give you incorrect info. That's why I suggested that since you were already planning on calling Apple about the file transfer…that asking them about Applecare also would be convenient.:)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB
I am planning to be on the phone with them Sunday so I will find out then. Thanks for all the help and info Nick.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple's selling the lower-end 27" retina iMac for $1999...so $1799 is a super price!

I have a feeling that Best Buy is having problems. I was in one of their larger stores earlier this week and they had every Mac on sale including the retina model mentioned above for that same price. They also did not have a single iPhone or iPod in stock and were focusing mostly on selling home entertainment units and smart phones (all Androids). Their iPads were also on sale; some reduced as much as $150. I was tempted to buy an iPad Mini 3 which had been reduced in price. But I really don't need another iPad. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a feeling that Best Buy is having problems. I was in one of their larger stores earlier this week and they had every Mac on sale including the retina model mentioned above for that same price.

It's very very surprising that Best Buy is selling (or is able to sell) a very recently released computer model for $200 less than the Apple Stores and Apple.com. I would think that at least 3-6 months would need to pass before (what I would consider) such a pretty deep discount was offered ($1799 vs. $1999). Definitely something we would expect to see as part of a "Back to School" promotion 2-3 months from now.

My guess is…$1799 ($200 discount) so soon...could be very close to the Best Buy wholesale price. So Best Buy may be making very little profit selling the lower end 27" retina iMac at this price. But great for consumers.:)

Actually…I was just going to say. At $1799…why would anyone purchase a "regular" 27" iMac. Just went to Apple.com…and Apple is currently only offering a single "regular" 27" iMac model…which is what previously was a higher end model for $1799. So currently Apple is selling three 27" iMac models:

- regular 27" iMac (non-retina display)
- lower end 27" retina iMac
- higher end 27" retina iMac

One other thing with Best Buy. Just like the now defunct Circuit City retail electronic stores (still has a website). Best Buy is one of the stores that shows up on annual lists of "stores that are going to disappear soon".

So I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy slowly closed their retail stores. Or all of a sudden...decided to close ALL retail stores…and become an internet only business.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy slowly closed their retail stores. Or all of a sudden...decided to close ALL retail stores…and become an internet only business.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Remember what happened to CompUSA? Now owned by TigerDirect and for the most part, internet only business.

Another clue: Amazon just open a super large warehouse and distribution center about 6 miles north of my home near Fort Worth Alliance Commercial Airport. They're currently hiring like crazy starting at $10.25 an hour. College students summer dream jobs. ;D

I figure it won't be long before Amazon drives stores like Best Buy out of the market.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's exactly what I was thinking. Remember what happened to CompUSA?

Oh yes…good ol' CompUSA!;) I always hated CompUSA. The locations I visited always had a REALLY LAME Mac area!:( But pretty good for Windows folks.

Another clue: Amazon just open a super large warehouse and distribution center about 6 miles north of my home near Fort Worth Alliance Commercial Airport. They're currently hiring like crazy starting at $10.25 an hour. College students summer dream jobs. ;D

I figure it won't be long before Amazon drives stores like Best Buy out of the market.

I think Best Buys days are numbered.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I think Best Buys days are numbered.

- Nick

I agree...sigh. I do like going to a bricks and mortar store to actually see and touch the product especially anything involving a keyboard, mouse or touch pad. I am very picky and if I don't like it some lucky relative or friend will be getting it. (No, I am not trolling for volunteers for my next reject. ;D )

When Best Buy came out they had really competitive pricing and good service. It has declined over the years. For now if I want a lot of products I head to Fry's in Indianapolis which is about 2 hours from me OR the Apple store which is 45 minutes. :D

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hear ya Lisa. It is nice to be able to see & touch & "play" with something before buying. Especially if it's an expensive item…or an item that really needs to be "seen" to be able to make an informative choice.

Something especially like large screen TV's that really should be seen for picture quality…and maybe compared side by side with other models. Or external computer displays (especially more expensive ones).

As I'm definitely sure you know. Over the last 5-7 years there's definitely been a paradigm shift with folks buying more & more stuff online. Heck…who would ever think that someone would ever buy shoes or clothing over the internet. We all know that the sizes on labels are not always exact (things don't always fit as advertised). And then there's just the "personal style" angle. Looks good on the rack…but put it on…and immediately you just know…"That's not me!!!";)

Plus there's the financial angle for stores. Cheaper not to have "brick & mortar" locations. So we sort of get "forced" to buying over the internet if there are not other viable choices.

We can only hope for low (or free) shipping both ways…and flexible return policies if we don't like something.:)

The delivery companies are sure LOVING it!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True so true Nick. I wonder if we will ever get to the day all shopping will be online? I admit I use Amazon a lot. There return policy is very good and I pay the $99 for free shipping each year. They loose money on me. :D

What happens a lot now is people entertain themselves by shopping at brick and mortar stores then go home to buy online.

I tried to price match at Best Buy once. I needed an item and I showed them on my phone what I could get it from at Amazon. They would not honor it because it was not "supplied" by Amazon. My feeling was if you don't want to price match - don't. Making "we will but only if" rules are not the way to win my business.

And yes UPS, FedEx, USPS are benefiting.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Lisa:

Pick up a copy of the July issue of MacLife. Fantastic article and how to's on using an Apple Watch. Some nice hints and stuff about what you can do with it that's not commonly known.

To get back on topic... You're right about price matching from Best Buy. And I too order quite a bit from Amazon but I do not pay for the premium shipping. I usually order enough to get free ground shipping anyway. It may take a few days longer, but I can wait. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will check out the MacLife issue. Thanks

Lisa

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well all I can say is WOW!!!!

This thing is huge, and the colors are wonderful. It is going to take some time to get use to it but so far I really like it, it seems to take a while for the mouse pointer to get across the screen LOL. I also asked the gentleman on the phone that was working with me on transferring my files and things from my old computer to my new one about how long I have to purchase Apple Care to receive phone support for the full 3 years and his answer was 30 days so I will be placing my order soon. Any tips on getting use to my new Apple are always welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulations! You are going to love it. Just post your questions or search on the forum for answers.

Oh, and you can speed up your mouse speed in System Preferences. Speed it up and let it zip like a Ferrari! ;D

Lisa

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulations! You are going to love it. Just post your questions or search on the forum for answers.

Oh, and you can speed up your mouse speed in System Preferences. Speed it up and let it zip like a Ferrari! ;D

Lisa

Thanks Lisa, I already love it. I got the mouse moving faster and I went up one box on the size resolution for these old eyes. I can't wait for the next surprize this fine machine has in store for me. I also brightened up the screen, what a picture!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
For those old eyes, you may want to head off to Yosemite System Preferences Display pane of Accessibility preferences and change the mouse pointer size to something a bit larger that some of us can actually see. ;D

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For those old eyes, you may want to head off to Yosemite System Preferences Display pane of Accessibility preferences and change the mouse pointer size to something a bit larger that some of us can actually see. ;D

Done, thanks pm-r, that helped. LOL

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was looking at the iCloud drive and have noticed a wheel turning and a message saying it is "setting up", it has been doing this for at least a hour and a half. What is this doing?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well all I can say is WOW!!!!

This thing is huge, and the colors are wonderful.

Congrats on getting your new iMac…setting it up…and getting some time to "play" with it!:) Yes…the 27" retina iMac is pretty impressive!!!:)

I also asked the gentleman on the phone that was working with me on transferring my files and things from my old computer to my new one about how long I have to purchase Apple Care to receive phone support for the full 3 years and his answer was 30 days so I will be placing my order soon.

Awesome! Thanks a million for asking & verifying this! : )

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on getting your new iMac…setting it up…and getting some time to "play" with it!:) Yes…the 27" retina iMac is pretty impressive!!!:)

Awesome! Thanks a million for asking & verifying this! : )

- Nick

No problem Nick, my pleasure. I was looking on Amazon for the Apple Care plan and noticed they sell them as "used" and "refurbished". Does anyone know what they mean by that?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem Nick, my pleasure. I was looking on Amazon for the Apple Care plan and noticed they sell them as "used" and "refurbished". Does anyone know what they mean by that?

Can you include a link in case that would help?:)

Also. For what it's worth. Make sure you check B&H Photo as well. Over the years…B&H photo has usually had one of the best prices for purchasing extended Applecare.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.