Buying a new iMac: Extra Upgrades?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo--2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hey Y'all,

I go to purchase a new iMac tonight and it gives me a bunch of options on upgrading/customizing the machine.

I can upgrade from 8 gig of ram to 16 for an extra $200. I can upgrade my video card for an additional $150. I can also upgrade my processor for $200 more.

Are these upgrades worth it to do now, or could I do them myself cheaper?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I can upgrade from 8 gig of ram to 16 for an extra $200. I can upgrade my video card for an additional $150. I can also upgrade my processor for $200 more.

Are these upgrades worth it to do now, or could I do them myself cheaper?

Basically this easy answer is…you cannot upgrade the cpu or gpu after purchase…you can only upgrade the ram. And this is if it's a 27" iMac. If it's a 21" iMac…you cannot upgrade the ram after purchase either.

- Nick

OP
gatrapper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So would you recommend that I upgrade from
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
to
3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz [Add $200.00]

and

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB GDDR5
to
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 [Add $150.00]

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No that's not what I'm saying.:) Because if I said that…then I would have to say that EVERYONE thinking of buying an Apple computer should upgrade it to the max (which is not right for everyone).

What I'm saying is (in response to your question about upgrading the ram, cpu, and gpu now or later)…and being able to do it cheaper yourself later. That you:

- cannot upgrade the RAM later (if it's a 21" iMac)
- cannot upgrade the CPU later
- cannot upgrade the GPU later

Now if you:

- NEED the performance of an upgraded CPU
- NEED the performance of an upgraded GPU
- NEED the performance of upgraded RAM

…and if these upgrades are within your budget. Then yes…get them!:)

- Nick

OP
gatrapper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm getting the 27 inch iMac 3.4GHz. I'm a teacher so I needed it for basic stuff, but I also do a good bit of video editing and photoshop projects for my class as well.

What do you think I would need?

C

chas_m

The CPU upgrade -- probably worth it.
The RAM -- you can upgrade later if you need to, and it will probably be a bit cheaper to do so.
The GPU upgrade -- not worth it unless you are a hardcore gamer IMO.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm getting the 27 inch iMac 3.4GHz. I'm a teacher so I needed it for basic stuff, but I also do a good bit of video editing and photoshop projects for my class as well.

What do you think I would need?

It's really hard to say. The 27" iMac you mentioned will get the job done…with the upgrades it will just get it done a bit quicker. Maybe you save a few seconds or a few minutes (maybe more on BIG projects) on the upgraded iMac. Is this worth the extra cash to you?

If someone is a professional video editor or professional photographer…spending the extra cash is certainly worth it to them…since they make a living via the computer for these activities. So if they can afford it…they should get the upgrades.

Same on your end. If you can afford it…go for it.:) But if the extra cash is a stretch…then go for the stock configured model…and upgrade the ram later as necessary.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.