Buying a LaCie D2 Extreame what would you do?

C

code777

Gonna get it in a few, decided just to go for it as I was trying to find used externals, other options, etc... and well reading all the good things about the LaCie and how it interacts well with Macs I just said, "Do it right the first time"

I'm getting the 160GB version. My question to you all is what would you do first? Back up OS X? I think I'd like to back up both my iBook and iMac.

I also will be doing video editing as well, shall i partition the drive? If so how? I also want to back up my iTunes library as well and all my digital pics.

So how should I go about getting things started? Do i need to format the LaCie out of the box or do anything special before starting all this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have that hd, it comes formatted HFS+, and Im not sure partitioning is necessary, it might make things easier though. also, depending on what app you use, you can only backup 1 mac. thats where a partition would be useful. its also perfect to back up images, songs, etc. and it copies SUPER fast. mines the triple interface, will yours be?
its such a great hd, its hard solid metal, not cheap plastic like most, has good cooling, adds more style to your work area, I love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
MY roommate got that exact LaCie - great little drive. Worked for him right out of the box. Just plugged it in. I believe the partitioning is under Disk Utility - honestly have yet to do it myself w/external drive. Certainly would backup data to it, music files, etc to free up ur internal - are you using Firewire? You might even reload OSX afterwards to get it running top-notch...did that after backing up about 4 months ago and its like a new machine :)

OP
C

code777

hmmmmm, i just checked the triple interface out and it comes with TWO 800's not 400's. I did not buy it (i know i know) because i was hoping to have two 400 connections as I wanted to plug in my camcorder to the HD directly. I could buy a HUB but funds do not allow - I could always disconnect my iPod but... I guess I need to research this more as I wanted to back up two computers...hmmmmm

thoughts?

OP
C

code777

ahhhhh, ummm - apple sales rep did not know that. he just said "You CAN NOT USE Firewire 400 with 800 so you are out of luck..."

aaaaaaah, should have just bought it! instead he was trying to sell me a HUB.

OP
C

code777

anyone know anything about the maxtor one touch external? I found a local mom/pop shop that is selling it for $110, the guy wants it out of his inventory (he's actually going out of biz). So I almost bought it right off the bat but told him I'd come back tomorrow if I wanted it.

Thoughts on this drive? Is the LaCie still a better drive?

[edit] maybe the LaCie is a better drive because it has the triple deal...hmmmm

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have a Maxtor one-touch. I have not loaded the software that came with the drive. I have been using it to edit video and I have not had a problem with it. At the time I purchased it, I was looking at the LaCie drives. The Maxtor 250GB drive was on sale, so I pick it up.

OP
C

code777

ahhhh once again i'm back to the LaCie. I went back to that store and the guy failed to tell me its USB only. No wonder it was so much cheaper.

I guess I'm gonna go back to Apple tomorrow to get the LaCie. heh heh

OP
C

code777

hey guys,

i just got the LaCie D2 Extreame, i'm just wondering what this Silverlining Software and Silverkeeper software is used for?

I'd like to partition the drive so that I have a back-up bootable OS X plus storage for my video editing. How do I set this up? When I open iMovieHD how do I make it so that everything gets stored on the LaCie?

Thanks for the tips!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
code777 said:
hey guys,

i just got the LaCie D2 Extreame, i'm just wondering what this Silverlining Software and Silverkeeper software is used for?

I'd like to partition the drive so that I have a back-up bootable OS X plus storage for my video editing. How do I set this up? When I open iMovieHD how do I make it so that everything gets stored on the LaCie?

Thanks for the tips!
Im not sure about silverlining, but silver keeper is a backup app, its pretty good, you can schedule backups, and make bootable backups.
as far as partitioning, you can either use a partition app, or boot from the os install disc 1 with your drive on and connected, click installer>disk utility>
select the drive in the left column, then click the partition tab, the rest is easy.
note: partitioning erases the drive, so back up whats on it.

OP
C

code777

well since its brand new there's nothing on it yet. But if I just want to use it for video editing and storing music files and have a bootable back-up - is that just two partitions then? I assume?

I think Silverlining is not needed if you have OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, just 2 partitions, though you could do it with no partitions, depending on the back up app you use, it will let you choose a folder on another drive to backup to.

OP
C

code777

well i'm just thinking its better to partition it as i may need to wipe one partition clean (reformat) after my video editing is done.

Actually maybe 3 partitions then? One with the bootable back-up, another for video editing, and another for storing all my music files, pics. ??thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Congrats on the drive, I have a LaCie as well. Yes, if you plan to backup both your iBook and iMac you'll want to partition the drive into 3 (one for each system backup and a third for whatever you want like audio/video). The advantage to this is you can make bootable backups of each system.

I highly recommend SuperDuper! for your backup app...you can get it from http://www.macupdate.com. Another alternative that's free but not as powerful is Carbon Copy Cloner.

The backup software that comes with the LaCie's isn't that great and I wouldn't recommend it.

OP
C

code777

thanks for the tips guys.

yeah the software that it came with seemed a little ... i don't know...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, I usually use super duper or tri back up.

OP
C

code777

i'm gonna try CCC

I don't think I really need to back up my iBook as I've moved all my work onto the iMac. I'm so glad I got the LaCie! My next purchase (won't be for another month) will be the LaCie DVD burner w/Lightscribe! Then i will have a complete workstation! No funds at the moment so...

OP
C

code777

argh, did a CCC and when i went into system prefs. and tried to look at start up disk i got my first ever kernal panic. I restarted and repaired permissions and did it again and this time it saw the LaCie back up.

Anything to worry about?? Did I do something wrong?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.