Buy/Sell/Trade forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I really think that there should be a requirement of minimum posts or something like that before people can post in that part of the forum.

For example, sprintusers.com needs either 150 posts and 2 months membership or 6 months membership before you can sell a phone or even reply to a post. This does not stop users from reading and communicating through PM but it would certainly cut down on frivilous B/S/T posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
or maybe a certain amount of time before they can even see it... but as it stands right now .. if you are not a member you can not see it, so that does help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I agree, I am also talking to schweb about this.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wahoo! something i suggested holds its own credibility!

kickin!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I really think that there should be a requirement of minimum posts or something like that before people can post in that part of the forum.

For example, sprintusers.com needs either 150 posts and 2 months membership or 6 months membership before you can sell a phone or even reply to a post. This does not stop users from reading and communicating through PM but it would certainly cut down on frivilous B/S/T posts.

its a good idea but it needs to be worked on.. you can have 5000 posts with 4 years of membership and still be rip someone off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

This has been covered in the past, with the same exact suggestions/requirements suggested. The bottom line is that the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum is "Use at your own risk". If someone chooses to purchase something from someone, then that is what will happen. That buyer will be responsible for his or her own actions.
The forum was not changed in the past after similar requests, and it is fairly certain to say that it will not be changed now.
The Stickied Announcement at the top of the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum pretty much spells things out for anyone choosing to participate in that forum.

M

MacHeadCase

I also think it's up to each and everyone who uses the Buy/Sell/Trade sub-forum to let others know of their good or bad experiences with sellers and that people who are about to buy from member X should refer to the list to make sure.

Of course, I don't think someone running a scam would stick around too long in here though...

Reaction score

That is a great idea. Might help decrease some bad sellers.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This has been covered in the past, with the same exact suggestions/requirements suggested. The bottom line is that the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum is "Use at your own risk". If someone chooses to purchase something from someone, then that is what will happen. That buyer will be responsible for his or her own actions.
The forum was not changed in the past after similar requests, and it is fairly certain to say that it will not be changed now.
The Stickied Announcement at the top of the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum pretty much spells things out for anyone choosing to participate in that forum.
aww your killing me smalls...

well it seems the 2 mods are talking about it even though you have abscirbed to my suggestion being irrelevant.

i think that an extra privacy feature would be really beneficial, but we can agree to disagree.

OP
skye
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also think it's up to each and everyone who uses the Buy/Sell/Trade sub-forum to let others know of their good or bad experiences with sellers and that people who are about to buy from member X should refer to the list to make sure.

Of course, I don't think someone running a scam would stick around too long in here though...

thing is...most people will only sell one thing in the b/s/t forum, which is all it takes for a scammer to make a haul of a grand or more

Reaction score
thing is...most people will only sell one thing in the b/s/t forum, which is all it takes for a scammer to make a haul of a grand or more

In that case - how about a "rating system" similar to the one EBay uses. With EBay if they don't have 95% and above I don't use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
In that case - how about a "rating system" similar to the one EBay uses. With EBay if they don't have 95% and above I don't use them.

Another forum I'm on (not mac related) uses this for their card trading. I can ask the admin there what they use if needed to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
In that case - how about a "rating system"
This is what we have:

Stickied: Good Seller/Bad Seller List

Again, there isn't anything that the staff will do to intervene that I can see.
It was made clear in that forum that the staff of Mac-Forums will not have anything to do with what goes on in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum.
Making a ratings system for a single sub-forum on a much, much larger Forum would be a waste of effort. Yes, there is the convenience of having a forum for sales/trades, but this is not a sales or auction site.
An internal rating system like is suggested would be far more work than required for the lesiurely, little spot on this forum where people can do business with each other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There will not be a limit placed on the forum. This has been discussed and decided in the past. The forum is use at your own risk.

If you choose to buy or sell with a brand new member with a low post count, then that's something you need to deal with. If your own common sense doesn't work, there is nothing we can do to stop you.

Whether we place limits or not, some group will be upset. That forum is provided as-is and at the user's risk. Mac-Forums will not get involved with transactions there or provide support in that forum.

More details:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=5&a=8

To be honest, we provide that forum as an ancillary service, it's not our main purpose. I would almost rather shut the forum down completely before we design and implement some complex system of who can post there and who can't.

Reaction score
This is what we have:

Stickied: Good Seller/Bad Seller List

Again, there isn't anything that the staff will do to intervene that I can see.
It was made clear in that forum that the staff of Mac-Forums will not have anything to do with what goes on in the Buy/Sell/Trade Forum.
Making a ratings system for a single sub-forum on a much, much larger Forum would be a waste of effort. Yes, there is the convenience of having a forum for sales/trades, but this is not a sales or auction site.
An internal rating system like is suggested would be far more work than required for the lesiurely, little spot on this forum where people can do business with each other.

Oh well it seemed to be a great idea but you guys are the ones in charge - I'll support you in any decision you make - that is your job not mine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.