• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning Movie to DVD-R

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm in the right forum, but here's my problem.
I recently created a slide show/movie using Fotomagico. The piece turned out great and I was pleased with how it looked on QuickTime and YouTube. To save space on my computer (iMac 24" purchased in early 2009) and to give them to friends, I tried to burn it on several DVDs (Memorex DVD-R). I used the Mp4 file created by Fotomagico. The first DVD turn out great, but I can't get anymore to do that well. They are all jerky and sometimes they even pause permanently. The DVDs are brand new, right out of the package, so they're not damaged. Any help would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which program are you using to burn the DVDs? We recommend using the free "Burn" from SourceForge.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Also, are you trying to burn a DVD that will play in a DVD Player or just burning the file to the DVD?

OP
B
Reaction score
My iMac

Which program are you using to burn the DVDs? We recommend using the free "Burn" from SourceForge.

I've used the burner on my iMac. Right click on the m4v file and select "burn to disk". When that didn't work, I downloaded a burner from "Permute". It came highly recommended, but so far their customer service doesn't impress me.

OP
B
Reaction score
Also, are you trying to burn a DVD that will play in a DVD Player or just burning the file to the DVD?

I'm burning them to give to friends. I don't have a DVD player, so my problem is showing up when I play the DVD on my iMac. I really want DVDs that will play on anything, but I'm hearing that may not be possible.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm burning them to give to friends. I don't have a DVD player, so my problem is showing up when I play the DVD on my iMac. I really want DVDs that will play on anything, but I'm hearing that may not be possible.
It is usually possible but you can't do it using the method you tried (right click and choose burn to disk). The program "Burn" linked to in post #2 above should do that if you choose Video as the format.

On thing I have to ask: Are these commercially produced movies? If so they are likely copy-protected. That may be the reason it is not working. It would also mean we can't discuss burning that kind of disc since it is a violation of copyright law.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I've used the burner on my iMac. Right click on the m4v file and select "burn to disk".
All you've done there is burn a copy of the movie file to the DVD. You can only play it on a computer using something like Quicktime.

You need to burn a Video DVD. Use "Burn" as indicated above. Make sure you choose Video in the Toolbar, and DVD-Video in the dropdown menu on the right. Drop your movie file into the main window. You'll probably be asked if you want to convert the file. Say "Yes", because this has to be done. Then click Burn.

You should end up with a DVD that will play on a computer(with Apple's DVD Player or equivalent), or in a DVD Player.

OP
B
Reaction score
What?

It is usually possible but you can't do it using the method you tried (right click and choose burn to disk). The program "Burn" linked to in post #2 above should do that if you choose Video as the format.

On thing I have to ask: Are these commercially produced movies? If so they are likely copy-protected. That may be the reason it is not working. It would also mean we can't discuss burning that kind of disc since it is a violation of copyright law.

I ended up getting a wonderful DVD burning program for 10 bucks. Works like a charm and my problem is solved.
As for your concern about copyright laws, you really should take the time to read original posts before you imply that something illegal is being done. I said I created this slide/movie using Fotomagico. That means I used my slides, my vids, shot and edited by me. I also used royalty free music. Relax and quit trying to be so Sly Dude.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't assume that you were up to no good. I merely misread that sentence in the original post. That's also for the benefit of others who might see this thread later.

You post mentions using Fotomagico to create the slideshow. In this case you used material you created but that's not directly mentioned in the post. Use of Photomagico doesn't automatically mean that all contentment created was yours to distribute. We've had numerous posters over the years who use the phrase "I created a slideshow" to include shows with a mix of their own and copy-protected content.

Reaction score
burning to disk

I have always used toast titanium 7 and never had a problem. The make of disk should be any of the brand names.

Make sure you click video.

9dq17

OP
B
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I didn't assume that you were up to no good. I merely misread that sentence in the original post. That's also for the benefit of others who might see this thread later.

You post mentions using Fotomagico to create the slideshow. In this case you used material you created but that's not directly mentioned in the post. Use of Photomagico doesn't automatically mean that all contentment created was yours to distribute. We've had numerous posters over the years who use the phrase "I created a slideshow" to include shows with a mix of their own and copy-protected content.

...I guess as Moderator, it's your job to assume the worst rather than assuming the best. That's sad, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever post here again.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My apologies if my previous post left the impression that I thought you were some sort of no goodnick out to put the movie guys out of business.

...I guess as Moderator, it's your job to assume the worst rather than assuming the best. That's sad, but I'll keep that in mind if I ever post here again.

Almost true. We quite regularly have to remind users that we cannot advocate/assist in copyright violations. This also happens because some of our members do not see sharing such files as a problem. In some countries it isn't a violation of the law.

I personally prefer to ether assume the best or not assume at all.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.