Burning Lightscribe Disks

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right spot, but I'm gonna get a lightscribe drive tomorrow and I was wondering what I will need to start burning lightscribe disks right away. What I want to do is put pictures instead of text on the disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Lightscribe isn't anywhere near as well supported on the Mac as it is on the PC unfortunately.

I've recently gone down the Lightscribe route and have written about it in my blog Here

Basically you need to download and install the Lightscribe System Software from the Lightscribe website and then you need a disc labelling program that supports Lighscribe and this is where the problems start. There arn't that many for the Mac and many of the ones that do exist simply don't work.

Save yourself a lot of time and heartache and buy yourself a copy of disclabel from Smile On My Mac. It works perfectly, it's very powerful and easy to use and affordable too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I disagree with Peakoverload's conclusions. I purchased a Lacie dual layer burner with lightscribe almost 2 years ago now. It has been flawless. It comes with design software and you just press the print button and it burns the images right away. Now I'm not saying it is the prettiest way to label discs. Also I cannot comment on other brands. I don't do any professional work but I do make a lot of DVDs for people that really seem to like so I don't like those stickers you can put on after printing. They fade, smear and discolor. However with lightscribe you cannot print in color. One of the tricks I have learned for better results is to convert any images you are going to be using to black and white and crank up the contrast. So for me it is just a personal preference.

OP
Mufasa
Reaction score
I do not want to go the label way, I did that before and the label melted in the CD player of my friend's car. Imagine how ****** she was. Not gonna risk breaking a PS3 or a Mac. I'm gonna go buy the drive today. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which app I should use to burn the image?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I say try whatever comes with the dive first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
That's just it though. Most drives DON'T come with Lightscribe software for the Mac.

As I said in my original post, buy disclable from Smile On My Mac. By far the best Lightscribe software for the Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.