• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning dvds with a Macbook Air M1

Reaction score
What software would you suggest I use so I can burn DVD's on a new Macbook Air with the M1 chip? It's set up with Monterey. We've picked up an Apple Super Drive and the USB adapter to connect the drive to the computer.

The old iDVD was great...sad that Apple has dropped it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Apple Super Drive and the USB adapter

What software would you suggest I use so I can burn DVD's on a new Macbook Air with the M1 chip?

Personally I don't know if it would work on that machine, I don't have one too try, but I would sure give it a try with the free Burn Application:

It seems it has been updated fairly recently.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I second what Patrick suggested. The open source free "Burn" program should work. However, if you're trying to setup menus and so forth, you will need something more sophisticated. It is a shame that Apple has not updated iDVD to 64 bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
It is a shame that Apple has not updated iDVD to 64 bit.
Yes. Nothing else comes close in terms of design and menus.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I second what Patrick suggested. The open source free "Burn" program should work. However, if you're trying to setup menus and so forth, you will need something more sophisticated. It is a shame that Apple has not updated iDVD to 64 bit.
iDVD was always a little flaky for me. I used to build the menus in iDVD, create a disc image, and use either Burn or Toast tp com[plete the burn Sometimes, even that did not work with iDVD crashing before the disc image was created.

I finally started using Toast Titanium for the entire process. I haven't used Toast Titanium in quite a while, but it used to have the ability to create some DVD menus. The results weren't as stunning as iDVD, but they were useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes. Nothing else comes close in terms of design and menus.

I see their mayby some competition that should work with the latest Macs:

App requirements
Intel 64
macOS 10.12.0 or later

Cisdem DVD Burner.app overview
Cisdem DVD Burner is great DVD-burning software with more functionality but fewer steps to master than iDVD. It can burn any videos to DVD with subtitles/menu and background music and also provides an array of DVD menu templates to suite all your occasions. With its editing functions, you can crop, rotate, trim, remove letterboxing, and add special effects or watermarks, and then easily burn your high-quality personal DVD.

Not free however... But does a fair bit more if one needs it... But I have never used it... 😇

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
iDVD was always a little flaky for me. I used to build the menus in iDVD, create a disc image, and use either Burn or Toast tp com[plete the burn Sometimes, even that did not work with iDVD crashing before the disc image was created.
Yes, I had a lot of trouble with "multiplexing errors" at one stage. Solved it by de-selecting the background encoding option, but I still tended to save as a disc image and then burned via Disk Utility(until Apple removed that option).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.