• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

burning avi's to dvd?

Reaction score
I've done a bit of research here and tried the suggestions but i'm still having problems. I have an .avi file that I want on DVD to watch on a normal dvd player. First, it plays perfectly on VLP. I first downloaded a converter (3ivx and divx doctor II 2.5) After running it through the doctor, it would play in quicktime, but without audio. Oh yeah, while running it through the doctor it said something about the audio file being ac3 and it was going to dump it. Now, it just plays on any player, but without audio. i've tried using idvd and divx6 with their codec that i put in the quicktime folder. Anyone have any suggestions? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Try FFmpegX to convert it into a DVD iso or bin/cue. Then burn the image to DVD.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks guilio.

When I download FFmpegX, it says I need to download two other files (mpeg2enc & ffmpegXbinaries). The ffmpegXbinaries is a zip and seems fine, so far. The mpeg2enc doesn't seem to download at all. The hosting site says to "control click on the link, and save to disk". I have the option of "saving to desktop". When I do that, it saves as a txt file and is nothing but code. Is that normal/what I want and what do I need to do with it now?

OP
O
Reaction score
One more thing. When I open FFmpegX, it brings it's own install which says I need to install mpeg2enc, mencoder, mplayer When I try and install those it says
You must locate mpeg2enc file in your disk by clicking on Locate... in order to install it.

If I try and skip that and install mencoder, it says the same thing for that file and again with mplayer. What am I not doing right? thanks again

ps. If I click on the icons with that label, nothing different happens.

OP
O
Reaction score
Never mind. It's been a long day trying to do this and I didn't read the directions very well. I've never burned a DVD and i'm begining to lose my patience, lol. So far, so good, i'll try and convert and burn now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Toast will burn the avi to dvd as well.

OP
O
Reaction score
I tried toast, it kept crashing. I'm trying the suggestion above, and burning it with toast right now. hopefully that works.

OP
O
Reaction score
using toast, it still didn't transfer the audio. This was what I did after doing the above suggestion. Anymore ideas? If I can get it to play right in QT, then I should be ok, right?

OP
O
Reaction score
I hadn't tried Itunes or IMovie. Just before bed, I tried again to encode the movie with FFmpegx, this time to mpeg4. I can now play it in quicktime and it saved it as .mov.mp4. I'll try and burn it later in either Idvd (slow) or toast(not as slow) Is there something that is faster, or is this just the nature of the beast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
If you just want to burn a simple AVI with no menus or anything, you can use burn, which will let you do just that quickly and simply. It's not very configurable though, so if you want anything else you might be better looking elsewhere. I've had nothing but trouble with FfmpegX, although plain old command-line ffmpeg works fine. It doesn't seem to be able to 'see' the extra downloads, despite downloading and pointing it to them several times.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. If I convert them to FfmpegX as a Mpeg4, then burn in IDVD, it works like a charm. When I convert, I click the audio tab and select #1. Don't know if that matters or not, but it's working for me:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Glad to hear you got it working!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.