• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burn DVD Program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Anyone ever use Burn?

I was wondering if it would be possible to burn a DVD using MTR and Burn, thus eliminating the use for Toast, Popcorn, or any other burning program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I've used Burn a few times. It seems to do a pretty good job off converting and burning random movie files without menus. You might want to try LiquidCD, that lets you select the VIDEO_TS folder generated by MTR for burning directly. Of course, it doesn't re-compress it like Toast would, but it's a working solution :)

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I've used Burn a few times. It seems to do a pretty good job off converting and burning random movie files without menus. You might want to try LiquidCD, that lets you select the VIDEO_TS folder generated by MTR for burning directly. Of course, it doesn't re-compress it like Toast would, but it's a working solution :)

Do all DVDs require compressing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
Depends on the size of the file. Most DVD's you'd buy from BestBuy etc, are dual-layer's and thus hold up to 9 gigs of info, as compared to the 4.7 gigs that can fit on the blank dvd-r's on which you would be burning. Compression is required if your file is larger 4.7 gb.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Thought so, looks like I'll be investing in either DVD2XOne or Toast lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.