Building your own Mac system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The state of confusion, Sheridan Wyoming for mail
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 2017, Intel I5 CPU, Intel HD 6000 graphics, 8 GB RAM, 480GB SSD.
For my Windows systems I don't buy a desktop, I build myself. I was thinking (usually a dangerous thing for me to do...) of the possibility of a Big Sur dual boot to my main Windows desktop. Is this practicable? Here are the basic specs for my main system:
Power supply: 900 watt modular.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-core, 16-thread.
Storage: 2 M.2 SSD 500GB (one for system, the other for clone backups), 240GB SATA3 SSD for video conversions, spin drives to bring my storage to~13TB (hey, I'm a media junkie with a library of over 1000 movies)
Audio: Yamaha sound system connected via a digital optical connection.
Graphics: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT with 12GB GDDR6 RAM driving 55 and 43 inch 4K HDTVs in a dual monitor setup.
Optical drives: Asus DVD/CD burner and an Asus Blu-ray burner.

Ya, it's a bit of a beast but that isn't why I posted the specs. Would there be any reasonable possibility of installing MacOS Big Sur on the 240GB SATA3 SSD and getting it to work? My main concern would be the ability to find device drivers. I'm not much concerned about my Windows Keyboard not having such keys as 'Option' and 'Command' as I would be surprised if I could not find a wireless USB keyboard with the Apple layout.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not legal. Apple doesn't permit macOS on non-Apple hardware. The post may well be blocked by the MODS here.

OP
jaylach
Reaction score
The state of confusion, Sheridan Wyoming for mail
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 2017, Intel I5 CPU, Intel HD 6000 graphics, 8 GB RAM, 480GB SSD.
Thanks for the input. I was not aware of the legal aspect and apologize for my lack of knowledge.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No problem. I will, however, close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.