broken mac book pro

Reaction score
I had a mac book pro

It is one of the old one's (not intel based)

any way the screen broke/shatter

when i turn it on i cant see any thing / rendering it useless

i was just wondering is there a way i can connect it to an external screen so i am able to at least get some use from it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I had a mac book pro

It is one of the old one's (not intel based)

any way the screen broke/shatter

when i turn it on i cant see any thing / rendering it useless

i was just wondering is there a way i can connect it to an external screen so i am able to at least get some use from it?

Actually, you have PowerBook. MacBook Pros are Intel only.

If it's just that the screen is broken, yes, you can hook up an external monitor.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hey cwa107

Thank you very much, sorry was my mistake bout the powerbook/macbook thing
im sure u can see how i got confused

Could some one please help me and tell me how to hook up a PowerBook to an external monitor

also would i be able to hook up an external mouse and keyboard as i dont fancy having the powerbook infront of me while i work id like to put it to one side so it is not in the way of the external monitor

Thank you very much for the help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey cwa107

Thank you very much, sorry was my mistake bout the powerbook/macbook thing
im sure u can see how i got confused

Could some one please help me and tell me how to hook up a PowerBook to an external monitor

also would i be able to hook up an external mouse and keyboard as i dont fancy having the powerbook infront of me while i work id like to put it to one side so it is not in the way of the external monitor

Thank you very much for the help!

Depending on your model of Powerbook, it will either have a DVI or an SVGA port to attach an external monitor (I believe all recent incarnations have at least a DVI port). Some monitors have DVI connectors and some have SVGA connectors. If your external monitor only has SVGA, you can purchase an SVGA to DVI converter cable and attach it to the DVI port on the side of your MacBook. That's all there is to it.

You can attach an external keyboard and mouse via the USB ports. Just about any USB keyboard and mouse should work. If your Powerbook is equipped with Bluetooth, you can also use a wirelsss Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

OP
A
Reaction score
could you tell me or give me a rough idea of how much a SVGA adapeter/conector would cost and where to purchase them from (i live in the UK)

Thank you so much I hope to be going bac to using my mac very soon !!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You should be able to get that cable at an Apple store or almost any store that sells computers. Here is the US, it would run maybe $20-$40. If you're not sure whether yours has DVI or VGA connector, take it to the store with you. You will need to know which one your monitor has.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.