broken arm of the memory slot, macbook pro (2010)

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new here.
My problem is the broken arms of my top memory slot of my macbook pro (medio 2010)

Anybody got the solution to resolve this?

Pleas help.

Regards,

Rishi

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "broken arm" of your top memory slot? If the memory slot has been damaged in some way so that it can no longer be used to insert a memory module, then, the entire logic board has to be replaced. And that's an expensive repair.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm thinking the OP is talking about the little locking/release tabs on the sides of the ram slots that retain/secure the ram in place.

I don't think that there's a way to repair this...other than a replacement logic board (which would be way over-kill to solve this). I've had used computers where one of the ram retaining tabs was broken…but not both.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure what he meant. I've seen computers where the memory slot retaining locks were missing because the owner didn't know how to remove a module and used brute force. Compaq DeskPro machines were especially difficult to remove and replace modules. Remember those? :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ohh yes...remember those!

I remember these ram locking/retaining tabs used to be made of a spring steel material (and were a bit more forgiving). And when you locked the ram in place...you got a nice "click" sound.:)

But I think now they are made of plastic in many cases. And as we know...as plastic ages (and is exposed to heat inside of a computer)...the plastic gets brittle. Then "bad" things can happen!:(

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.