Bring iphone 6S plus back to factory default; my AppleId no longer exists

Reaction score
For reasons too complicated to go into, the AppleId on my iphone 6S Plus no longer exists (I screwed up months ago, and it cannot be retrieved). I can't access Apple store and cannot get into my cloud account.
I would like to completely wipe out everything on my phone and start anew, but when I try to bring it back to factory default, it is REQUIRED that I enter my AppleId. I can't do that; it doesn't exist.
My only option seems to purchase another phone and throw this one away. Is there any way that I can wipe out everything on my phone without having to enter my AppleId? I have a back-up of my Contacts, Photos, and Notes, so I am not worried about losing them. Can anyone help me, please?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You would agree that validating your ownership of the phone is vital to resetting it. Otherwise, ANYONE could grab anybody else's unlocked phone and quickly reset it to claim it as their own.

If you purchase this iPhone, then there might be a receipt with the serial number and your info that proves that this phone is yours, in which case Apple stores can likely bypass the Apple ID. During the current pandemic, I'm not sure how they are handling this, but if you do have proof, give Apple a call and see what they can do for you.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I do have my original receipt with the serial number, so I will contact Apple and see if they can help me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I don't meant to hijack this thread, but have couple of questions regarding the resolution.

If I understood this thread... Should my Apple ID become damaged, not accessible, nor can it be reset by Apple, then I'd need a receipt to verify I am the owner of the iPhone. Without any of these, I'd basically have an expensive brick, correct?

My Apple ID is fine, but certainly don't have a receipt with serial number. Wouldn't the carrier have the serial number and can they verify the ownership? Yes, I did purchase my iPhone 8+ from the carrier with the two year plan, that is over for couple of years or so by now.

Does the same apply to MacBook Pros?

I really didn't know that resetting an iPhone to factory setting can be so convoluted, if things are out of whack....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.