Bright spot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have bright spot on screen that gets brighter the longer its on.

Try adding at least what Mac model you have, and have you tried changing the brightness??

Or maybe even include a photo or screen shot image for the gurus to see. :eek:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both of your links are bad. Google says they're forbidden... ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nothing there except an "About this Mac" dialog box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Do you have an external monitor you could connect and see if you get the same bright centre area?

And have you tried adjusting the screen brightness??

That MB uses a LED-backlit display and I believe are both integral and one piece units.

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't have the cables needed to hook up another monitor. I would like to add to my problem though.

When I go to say Netflix then start a video, the screen in a short time will start becoming bright then it just grows and takes over the whole screen then the computer freezes and I have to turn it off by pushing the power button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, I don't know what the problem or cause would be, but I'd suggest it's something goofy with the graphics card or whatever controls the brightness.

Maybe try running the Apple Hardware/Diagnostics Test and see what it might show. Just a maybe it might find the problem. :)

OP
D
Reaction score
I have reset and held down "D" until it restarted but it didnt tell me anything. Also ive noticed the fan in not comeing on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have reset and held down "D" until it restarted but it didnt tell me anything. Also ive noticed the fan in not comeing on.

It sounds like you may need to use the 10.6.3 Install disks that came with that MB as you haven't mentioned what OS X version you might have upgraded to that I noticed. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
Sorry it`s the OS X 10.10.1. I did the diagnostic test from the CD I got with the Mac I did the extra long one and it didn't find anything wrong. Now I can`t get the Mac to do the "bright spot", so is it fixed would it of repaired it and not told me? But I have noticed that the cooling fan is not coming on. Is there a way to test to see if the cooling fan is working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So it seems that whatever was causing the bright spot has been fixed and no need for the fans to run at high speed, so it sounds like you're back to normal whatever the "fix" was.

There are lots of fan temp sensors and utilities available if you really need one. Check macupdata.com or other legitimate sites. But make sure you use a compatible one!!!

BTW: You hand can be a handy tool to use for feeling for any excessive hot spots.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I have noticed that the cooling fan is not coming on. Is there a way to test to see if the cooling fan is working?

I can guaranty that if your cooling fan is not on, your MacBook Pro will shut down. It's likely running at idle speed which would be around 1500 RPM and at that speed is very quiet. However, to give you peace of mind, download the free iStat Pro app which will give you RPM and temps.

OP
D
Reaction score
I couldn't get the istatpro to work. But I would like to add to the problem I'm having. The bright spot isn't really a bright spot but more like the whole screen goes bright white and the keys or track pad doesn't work, but if I slightly move the screen it becomes fixed and I can carry on with what I was doing.

Ps the fan is working in using the "smcfancontrol" app it works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.