Brave Browser for macOS 10.14?

krs

Reaction score
I want to try the Brave browser because Firefox, which is now my default, will for some reason not display large images.
Small images are fine and when I use Chrome the large images display as well.
But I'm not really keen to use Chrome as my default.
When I download Brave on my Mac running macOS 10.14, the Brave version that is selected on the Brave website is KGV340.
The download works fine, the install works fine but then when I try to launch Brave I get a message that the macOS is too old and I need macOS 10.15. A fine time to tell me
I then searched specifically for Brave for macOS 10.14 but was offered the same version.
I know a Brave version for macOS 10.14 exists - or at least did exist because I used it a few years ago.
But where is it now?
Or is there a good browser alternative that will run on macOS 10.14 and hopefully open larger images?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, I'm using an early version on a 2010 Macbook running macOS High Sierra.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You may be able to find one here,

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Randy, wish I had found that link a few months ago when I was looking for a version of Brave that would run on an older OS. I ran into the same issue that member @krs did.

On the upside, it gave me an excuse to experiment with the Open Core Legacy Patcher to run a more modern OS on an older machine.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
I have pretty much given up trying to find a download of Brave for macOS 10.14
It's just too much of a hassle.
When I'm running macOS 10.14 and I go to the Brave website to download their browser, I expect that the download bein offered will actually run on the OS I'm using.
Every other browser will offer the proper version of their product, well except Brave (I have at least not experienced that screw up with any other browser)
And then, thanks to the link Randy posted and a bit of poking around I eventually found the version of Brave I should be using with macOS 10.14, that's Brave version 1.57.64
But when I google for that download, I get mostly unknown websites offering that download, like the one Bob posted above in post#4 and I'm reluctant to download anything like that from other than the Brave website.
The Brave website does show up with a google search for Brave 1.57.64 but the download offered there is the one that doesn't work with macOS 10.14
So that's it for me.

Reaction score
@Randy, wish I had found that link a few months ago when I was looking for a version of Brave that would run on an older OS. I ran into the same issue that member @krs did.

Sorry, I must have missed that you were having trouble with that. Otherwise I would have given you that link back then.

Just about every Web browser has an archive of older versions of their product, just for this reason.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
No apology is needed. That one's on me. I don't think I posted that issue on the forum.

Besides, the bonus is I had an excuse to try running a newer OS on older Mac gear.

wired76

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, @Randy B. Singer 's post allowed me to download the latest supported build from the Github channel. I'm trying to revive my beloved MBA 2011 for travel and light browsing, but the lack of software support for High Sierra is doing my head in. I've tried to install Big Sur (oldest version still receiving security updates ) with the OpenCore Launcher but it was very slow and buggy, didn't even boot after restart.

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, @Randy B. Singer 's post allowed me to download the latest supported build from the Github channel.
Could you post the actual link you used to download the version of Brave that works on macOS 10.13 and 10.14?
All I got to with Randy's post is this:
The last supported version for users on macOS 10.13 High Sierra and 10.14 Mojave is Brave version 1.57.64 and Chromium 116. After Brave Browser updates to version 1.58 or higher, macOS users will need to upgrade to macOS 10.15 Catalina in order to receive new browser updates.
..........but then I couldn't readily find a download link for Brave 1.57.64

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
.........but then I couldn't readily find a download link for Brave 1.57.64

I'm sorry but I cannot help, but I will admit that they certainly do not make it easy to even find or download an older MacOS compatible version of Brave, and I cannot recall all the steps I needed to go through in order to finally get a working copy I can try out using macOS X 10.11: El Capitan.

I almost gave up and I tend to be a bit tenacious.

Hopefully Randy or someone else can give you a useful working download address.

- Patrick
=======

OP
krs

krs

Reaction score
Thanks,
I downloaded .62 using the link you provided and installed that.
Then imported bookmarks from Firefox
Then a window came up offering an update to version .64
So it seems there is no download available to go to .64 directly
I updated to version .64 via that update link provided - so far so good.

On Firefox I had set up a bookmark bar across the top of the Firefox browser window with folders like "Search", "News", "Financials". "Mac" etc where clicking on a folder would bring up a dropdown menu with all the links I put into that category (folder).
I'm trying to duplicate that or something along those lines with Brave, but how was not immediately obvious.
So I'm going to take a break from setting up Brave right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.