Brand new to coding: should I start with Swift or Objective-C?

Reaction score
I am a high school senior and I'm beginning the initial stages of my senior project, which is an individual project that I will be working on with the assistance of a mentor from now until June. For my project I want to develop my first IOS app, but I am entirely new to coding. I have created my vision for exactly what I want my app to be but I understand the with the time limit being June there's a good chance it will not be possible to learn how to code as well as develop the app in time. I have thought about getting my idea onto a website and then from there developing the app with knowledge that it may not be the completed project in June. I have been reading about Swift in XCode 6 and from my understanding it is supposed to be much simpler and more efficient than Objective-C. I am looking for recommendations whether it would be best not learn Objective-C and begin with Swift especially because I am on such a time limit? And if you have any other beginner tips that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Reaction score
agree your not going to get it done in time honestly it takes 3 weeks just to learn how to code iOS apps on top of that you need a way to get the app on your device and the only way you can do that legally is if your a apple developer and have access to the developers page at apple but thats not cheap it's 99.99 for a developers account.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you looked at different platforms for developing that don't include Apple's official tools? Apache Flex/AdobeAIR or PhoneGap might be much easier to learn (the latter especially so if you have web development experience).

Reaction score
I am a high school senior and I'm beginning the initial stages of my senior project, which is an individual project that I will be working on with the assistance of a mentor from now until June. For my project I want to develop my first IOS app, but I am entirely new to coding. I have created my vision for exactly what I want my app to be but I understand the with the time limit being June there's a good chance it will not be possible to learn how to code as well as develop the app in time. I have thought about getting my idea onto a website and then from there developing the app with knowledge that it may not be the completed project in June. I have been reading about Swift in XCode 6 and from my understanding it is supposed to be much simpler and more efficient than Objective-C. I am looking for recommendations whether it would be best not learn Objective-C and begin with Swift especially because I am on such a time limit? And if you have any other beginner tips that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

There are a series of small easy to follow projects here:

Mammoth Interactive - Get Started Now

Just contact Mammoth to ask what is most appropriate for you.

There are hundreds of tuts on a wide range of projects. They regularly have excellent bundle deals, so don't be put off by the prices you see on the initial screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.