Brand New (purchased Oct. 20th, 2014) MBP trackpad not working

Reaction score
Pretty irritated right now. Just purchased my first MacBook Pro last night and setting it up tonight. I am realizing that the trackpad isn't working properly. Not all of the gestures work consistently or at all. The only one that is consistent is sliding the arrow from side to side and up and down. But the actual scrolling of the page no. I went into system preference, trackpad, and unchecked all and then restarted the computer. That restored all the gestures except for the scrolling up and down of the page.

For 2600 this is ridiculous! No I have not updated to OS X Yosemite (read that can cause problems). Came with Maverick.

I wonder if this was a return and the previous purchaser updated to Yosemite and it messed things up. Apple then downgraded back and put back on the shelf as brand new...

Seeing what you guys think. There are other minor issues too..like freezing a couple times and the mouse cursor disappearing for no reason. For this amount of money I am returning this for another. Unacceptable.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wonder if this was a return and the previous purchaser updated to Yosemite and it messed things up. Apple then downgraded back and put back on the shelf as brand new...

No way. When a machine is returned within the two week return period it is not resold as new. It becomes a refurbished unit after Apple completely checks it out.

As for your problem(s). My advice is not to mess with it but return it to Apple and have them give you another machine. I realize it's frustrating but why let it aggravate you? Return it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2008 Macbook 2.4 Core 2 duo 8G Of Ram 240G OWC SSD
No way. When a machine is returned within the two week return period it is not resold as new. It becomes a refurbished unit after Apple completely checks it out.

As for your problem(s). My advice is not to mess with it but return it to Apple and have them give you another machine. I realize it's frustrating but why let it aggravate you? Return it.

What he said. Why let it get you upset? APPLE WILL HOOK YOU UP WITH NO PROBLEM. Stuff like this can happen. I once went through 3 brand new sets of spark plugs from Bosch and two weeks of hair pulling before we figured out that the manufacturer had a bad run on that particular part number. Can you imagine the frustration? That was six hours each night after work and all day Saturday and Sunday two weekends in a row under, over, above, and beyond, my '74 Porsche 914 and all it took was putting in a new set of non-defective plugs. I still have to laugh about it or my blood starts to boil a bit. I must have checked the timing 75 times! Anyway, totally off topic. Go get a new laptop brother.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What haven't you taken it back immedfiately for replacement?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Another vote for returning it, you get 14 days to do so for a full refund.

OP
M
Reaction score
Lol, oh gosh thank you guys. I get in my own head too much. I have returned that one and it was like nothing when I went in there. They didn't care or ask or think a thing, and were happy all the way. I don't know so much about computers, just what I like and you all keep me sane. Common sense was all that was needed here, ha. Thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well done and that panic is a little of leaping before you look?

Keep coming back eh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.