brand new macbook pro retina 15" 2014

Reaction score
picked my self up a mac book pro form a solutions inc store in the uk last saturday
as soon as i took it out he box, i heard a click, turns out the clutch cover/black plastic strip was loose.
also i felt that the keyboard quality didn't reflect the price i had paid for the laptop. the keys felt loose if that makes sense, the space bar was able to rock back and forth slightly, and pushing the keys lightly without depressing them fully made a clicky tappy sound. Didn't have mbpr of same spec in so gave me a refund.

just went up and picked up another one, no loose clutch cover, but the keys feel the same.
the salesman in there let me try his, and they felt rock solid, and he said his was a year old.

am i being to fussy of what to expect keyboard quality wise, or do the keyboards break in?
just can't understand why a laptop wight his price tag has a keyboard that feels like this?

really like the software, and gu, but not overly impressed by quality of hardware

all input welcome
thnaks

OP
S
Reaction score
wow, no replies? has anyone just bought a 2014 macbook retina 15, can see what their keyboards are like?
i may be concerned about nothing, just would be good to know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
wow, no replies? has anyone just bought a 2014 macbook retina 15, can see what their keyboards are like?
i may be concerned about nothing, just would be good to know.

It all depends what you're used to. Most of us who have Apple laptops are probably used to the current keyboard feel. These keyboards have been around since about 2009…that's 5 years. So like I said…many of us are probably used to this.

If you are new to Apple laptops…or used to have an older Apple laptop (pre-2009)…then this may explain why you find the keyboard on your new computer "different".

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
It all depends what you're used to. Most of us who have Apple laptops are probably used to the current keyboard feel. These keyboards have been around since about 2009…that's 5 years. So like I said…many of us are probably used to this.

If you are new to Apple laptops…or used to have an older Apple laptop (pre-2009)…then this may explain why you find the keyboard on your new computer "different".

- Nick

hi Nick
that does make sense, I'm just a bit confused as to why the ones i tried out in the store did not have this feel, nor did the member of staff at the mac store that i tried. if thats how they all are, loose feeling, and people aren't suffering durability issues, then i can accept it as how the mcb feel. Just dont want to be having problems with it down the line due to a possible hardware problem form the get go. I am finding it hard to believe that could get two of them that have a problem though? either I'm being to fussy or quality control i slipping?

regards
ell

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that does make sense, I'm just a bit confused as to why the ones i tried out in the store did not have this feel...

I can of course only discuss this in terms of generalities. I certainly don't know exactly how your MacBook Pro's keyboard feels. Maybe what you feel is normal (just iike my MacBook Pro keyboard)…or if it is different (as in unusual different).

As far as durability. You see those 27,000+ posts in my Mac-Forums profile?? I would say that over 50% of those were made on this type of keyboard…and primarily from a single computer with this style of keyboard. So it's been pretty durable!:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
any other views on this? want to make sure i have a good unit form the get go...also don't want to keep having the incovenience of taking the lap top back, as i use it for work as well as for home.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
video added incase I'm not describing it properly

I don't see anything special in the video. Exactly the way my MacBook Pro keyboards are.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so the fact that it rocks back and forth slightly is normal for these?

For the 50,000th time!;) From everything that has been mentioned in the thread & shown on the video…your keyboard is fine. :)

Go back to the Apple Store…and check out 5-10 of the MacBook Pro and MacBook Air keyboards there. You will see the exact same thing. Your keyboard is fine!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.