Brand new Macbook Pro 13", battery lasts 3 hours!!!

shu

Reaction score
I got a brand new Macbook Pro 13" with retina display and the battery lasts all of 3 hours! All I've been doing on the computer since I got it (2 weeks ago) is browsing the internet. I know Apple has a battery problem, but this is pretty ridiculous!

I took it into the store and in fact they offered to replace it right there, but since it was custom ordered with 1 TB of hard drive space, that was not possible. So they sent me over to the Genius Bar.

The smarmy little twit at the Genius Bar spent half an hour trying to convince me that it was Google Chrome that was the problem.

So I went home and called Apple Support, who said it would be possible to get the battery replaced in-store.

Made another Genius Bar appointment, and they refused to replace the battery. Instead I had to give it in for service, which was really annoying. They determined there was nothing wrong with the software and gave it back to me. Battery still lasts 3 hours and they are refusing to replace it.

What do you suggest I do??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
I would take screen shots of the activity monitor to back your claims (energy tab). The screen shots should show that its not chrome, and the battery really only lasts 3 hours. If you don't have proof, its hard for them to believe you IMO.

I am a heavy chrome user on my Windows based machines, but I agree, Chrome is horrible on Mac and takes a hit on the battery for sure (not bad enough to make your battery only last 3 hours tho lol). I finally migrated everything over to Safari from Chrome on my MBP 13 and am much happier now. Safari is very efficient.

OP
S

shu

Reaction score
Good idea about the screenshots, they probably aren't believing me.

I switched over to Safari, and no difference in battery use though. So I'll definitely have to provide proof I guess!

I would take screen shots of the activity monitor to back your claims (energy tab). The screen shots should show that its not chrome, and the battery really only lasts 3 hours. If you don't have proof, its hard for them to believe you IMO.

I am a heavy chrome user on my Windows based machines, but I agree, Chrome is horrible on Mac and takes a hit on the battery for sure (not bad enough to make your battery only last 3 hours tho lol). I finally migrated everything over to Safari from Chrome on my MBP 13 and am much happier now. Safari is very efficient.

OP
S

shu

Reaction score
Yeah, thats not right... 4 hours of life remaining after 100% charge?! I'm running Safari and playing music... and even on Safari I'm not even on any sites that could be considered 'heavy'.

Screen Shot 2015-09-05 at 11.50.43 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
LOL ya, something is up. Since I posted that screen shot 30 minutes ago, I've been browsing and playing music on Spotify through bluetooth and my battery is still at 65% (69% in the first screen shot). And it still says I have 8:07 remaining.

PS. Your Safari avg. energy use is HIGH on that screen shot you just posted...I wonder why?

OP
S

shu

Reaction score
I don't know either! It's so frustrating as I already sent it in for service they should have also determined what is going wrong with Safari... who do you suggest I send this to?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP 13 Retina
I would take it back into the store or call again and see if you can email them the screen shots. One other thing I would suggest depending on if you want to spend the time. I would consider a reset or clean instal just incase its just a simple software glitch....up to you though.

Maybe try running Onyx before you reset. It's a great maintenance program for Mac.
Titanium Software - OnyX

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know either! It's so frustrating as I already sent it in for service they should have also determined what is going wrong with Safari... who do you suggest I send this to?

Your Safari energy usage is too high. There's something going on in the background that may be causing it - perhaps a Safari plug in? Anyway, the suggestion by member "azboomer" is a good one and that is to do a clean install of Yosemite. Make sure you backup everything first. Or, you could create another user account on your machine and assign it admin privileges. Then log out of your normal account and log into the new one. Use the machine normally from the new account to see what the battery usage is. If the batter usage is normal with the new account, then you know something is messed up with your normal account. Let us know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.