brand new harddrive failure?

Reaction score
2 weeks ago when I attempted to boot up my computer I recieved a kernal panic error, and it persisted every time i tried to boot after that. I took it to the genius bar and the guy hooked it up to an external hard drive where it booted just fine, so its not the ram, mobo, or vid card. He then looked at the hard drive and saw that it was red and said "fatal error" or something. The hard drive would not mount. He said it would need to be replaced. So I went home and I ordered a new hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822136042

Well I received it today and installed it correctly. However when I tried to boot up for the first time with the disk I STILL HAD A KERNAL PANIC ERROR!!!!!!! what is going on? Im so upset, i dont know what to do.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is booting with the OSX DVD? You have not even been able to install to the new hard drive as yet?

OP
A
Reaction score
i am borrowing a friends dvd because i cant find the originals that came with my computer, but i cant boot it up, i cant get to the drive, i cant format it, kernal panic straight when i turn it on.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
i am borrowing a friends dvd because i cant find the originals that came with my computer, but i cant boot it up, i cant get to the drive, i cant format it, kernal panic straight when i turn it on.

Is your friends machine who's DVD you are using the same exact machine? A lot of the install media is coded to the type of machine and will error if you try to boot on a different machine. Just wondering if that is the issue since it booted fine at the Apple Store.

OP
A
Reaction score
he has a brand new mac book with 10.4.8 cds and I have a 3 year old powerbook g4. Is this the problem? If i find the original cds will it work?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
he has a brand new mac book with 10.4.8 cds and I have a 3 year old powerbook g4. Is this the problem? If i find the original cds will it work?

There is your problem. You can NOT boot a G4/G5 Mac with a Macbook DVD. One is for Intel the other for Power PC. Can you find your media? If not get a hold of Apple. I am pretty sure from what happened at the Apple Store if you find your Media all will work. Just be sure once in the installer to run the Disc Utility and partition/Erase the new drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.