• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Bought an iphone 3gs off of craigslist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4GHz, 160GB, 2GB,SD / Iphone 3Gs 16GB
I posted an add on Craigslist about two months ago stating that I was willing to trade any one of my game systems ( wii, xbox or my PS3 ) plus my 8gb iPhone 3g for a iphone 3gs. Well Friday I was contacted and asked if I was still interested in the trade and I replied yes. Long story short, I traded my PS# plus my iphone 3g for a white iphone 3gs. I assumed everything was cool.

Today the seller's mom called me and told me that her son apparently found the iphone 3gs and had been attempting to find the owner for about 2 weeks, but he was unable to find them and no one came forth so he sold it. She asked me if I was willing to give it back and I said I'll think about it. Well I contacted Apple about this and they said it's nothing the original owner of the iphone could do. Once it's lost, it's lost! They have no way of tracking it. I even provided him the serial number number but he still couldn't locate a owner. He told me, "You basically got yourself an iphone 3gs." The only thing the owner can do is cancel their service.

I called the mother of the seller and told her what Apple told me and she said that that's the same thing Apple told her son. She thanked me for looking into it.

My question is, am I wrong for keeping the phone? I didn't do anything wrong in obtaining it, I made a trade and that's it. We both tried to somehow contact the orignal owner and that failed. I told the mother that that I was going to keep it. I did everything the right way didn't I?

Let me know what you all would do in this situation. I need a little advice. I'm leaning towards keeping it!:Oops:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The original owner has probably cancelled the service and moved on..however the person you traded with, essentially found an iPhone 3GS and then traded it for goods..so you are in the clear, but that person essentially got free goods either way you look at it.

So by all means, keep it and move on..:)

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You have done as much as you possible can to find the owner ....

Congrats on your new phone. Its a keeper :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone with helping me out. That's what I was thinking also. I contacted Apple and everything and so did her son. Once they said it's nothing they can do, I figured that that's it then, it's mine!

I'm kinda getting the vibe that maybe the mother realized how much the iphone 3gs are really worth and she probably wants to resell it for cash instead of a trade. But oh well, that's not gonna happen now.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unless that iPhone was locked, the kid didn't try very hard. The phone number of the phone is in the phone at the top of the contacts list at a minimum. A quick call to the carrier would have provided the answer and likely return to the rightful owner.

For your part, it's likely been wiped at this point and not much to be done any longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Ya so much for the due diligence on the part of the guy who found it. And good job by you of getting your side of the story onto the public record;D

Clay

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, at least I tried. The last thing I need is someone coming up to me telling me that I have their iphone. I contacted Apple again and registered it in my name along with all my other Apple products. He told me the the limited warranty expires in November of 2011 so I'm going to buy Applecare for it either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Reaction score
Seem like a reasonable trade off. You guys both try to find the owner, but there was none to be found. So congrats on you new Iphone 3GS!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3Ghz, 4GB RAM, Nano, iPhone4, Shuffle
I'd say you were in the right. But the question on everybody's lips... PS2 or 3?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.