Bought a used MacBook - No restore disc

Reaction score
I bought a black MacBook from my friend but he only had the laptop and the cord. I want to do a clean install. I am wondering if I can just buy the $29 Snow Leopard disc and do a clean install from that.

Will it work? and if it does, will I need to get iLife and the other basic software that comes standard on a MacBook again separately?

C

chas_m

Yes, and yes (well, yes to iLife, no to the basic stuff -- that all comes included with Snow Leopard).

Why not buy the Snow Leopard Box Set? You get Snow Leopard, iLife 09 *and* iWork 09 for just the price of two of those things. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

OP
X
Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up. I picked up the $29 Snow Leopard disc on the way to work this morning. I went to do a clean install and was prompted for a password (bought the mac used from my friend). He wasn't picking up his phone so I reset the password easily and was able to do a format on the HDD. I've got Snow Leopard running great and I'll be installing iLife and iWork on it later, as I need them.

I didn't want to spend the $150 for the box set when I'm not even sure I'll use the iWork stuff. Might stick with Microsoft since that is what I use at work.

Thanks again for the reply!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.