Bootcamp/Windows 7

Reaction score
I am presently running Lion on a 1,1 Mac Pro. Can I install & run Windows 7 32-bit (using Bootcamp) on a separate internal drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You could run Windows 7 on a seperate drive by formatting the drive NTFS and doing a straight out install. One problem you will face is the 32bit Windows 7 will only ever recognise 2GB of memory. The 64bit does not have this problem.

To use BootCamp you must use a partition on your boot drive. Have a read of this:-

Glenn's Blog | Install Windows 7, 64-Bit On Mac Pro

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am presently running Lion on a 1,1 Mac Pro. Can I install & run Windows 7 32-bit (using Bootcamp) on a separate internal drive?

Yes, as long as the separate drive is internal to the Mac Pro, Windows 7 x 32 should install OK. It's only when you attempt to install it to an external drive or non SATA bus position (as in the optical slot on a MBP) that you will run into problems.

OP
J
Reaction score
You could run Windows 7 on a seperate drive by formatting the drive NTFS and doing a straight out install. One problem you will face is the 32bit Windows 7 will only ever recognise 2GB of memory. The 64bit does not have this problem.

To use BootCamp you must use a partition on your boot drive. Have a read of this:-

Glenn's Blog | Install Windows 7, 64-Bit On Mac Pro

Thanks! I may eventually look into the 64-bit option but I feel I'm too much of an amateur to do it. One question about Windows 7 - there seem to be a myriad of install disks, from OEM to refurbished computer types to I don't know what all. Any recommendations? I just want to have a working copy of windows available for things that Macintosh won't do, like dealing with my Samsung phone.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks! Any recommendations on which install disk to buy? There are types for an OEM installation, refurbished computer, Home Office, Pro, etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy the OEM system builder's FULL install version. That will include both the 32 and 64 bit versions on the same DVD. Make sure it comes with an activation product ID number or the disk will be useless. Amazon is a good place to buy it from.

OP
J
Reaction score
Buy the OEM system builder's FULL install version. That will include both the 32 and 64 bit versions on the same DVD. Make sure it comes with an activation product ID number or the disk will be useless. Amazon is a good place to buy it from.

Thanks again! Exactly what I needed to know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.