Bootcamp gaming - sudden slowdown

Reaction score
I'm using Windows XP on a '09 15" Macbook Pro.

I've had this problem probably since I started using boot camp (probably more than a year now) where whenever I play games my FPS will suddenly drop to ~10 and the game will be completely unplayable and I'll have to restart it.

At first I thought it was a problem with the game itself but then I found out it's actually happening on every game. Also, it only happens in the first couple of minutes after I launch a game. In other words, I can sometimes play a game for hours and it'll be smooth as butter, and then the next day I will launch it and literally 5 minutes later it'll suddenly slow down.

I've even tried to reinstall my Bootcamp partition a couple of days ago, but I'm still experiencing the same problem.

Does anyone know what's causing this and what I can do about this?

Cheers.

Reaction score
You might try reinstalling your graphics card drivers in Windows or via the Bootcamp driver process. Might also want to consider running Win 7. A couple thoughts.

Cheers

Reaction score
I have noticed similar, playing Dirt2, and have seemed to track the issue down to the heat of the computer. I don't know enough about the inner workings of a Mac (or PC for that matter) to know if heat would cause the processor to start scrimping on graphic processing, but it certainly seems that way. If I play with the laptop in my lap, and my legs close together so that the computer cannot breath very well, the stuttering happens within 20 or 30 minutes. If I position the computer so that it has much more free air space underneath it, I seem to be able to play for a couple hours before the problem makes its self evident.

Now, obviously we are dealing with two different things. I am playing Dirt 2 within Lion (with every other unnecessary process closed), and you are using Parallels. I think the interesting fact is that we are experiencing the same problem on both platforms.

BTW, I am using a fall 2011 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz i7, 8Gb ram, 500Gb 7200rpm.

OP
B
Reaction score
You might try reinstalling your graphics card drivers in Windows or via the Bootcamp driver process. Might also want to consider running Win 7. A couple thoughts.

Cheers

Good idea, I'll try updating my drivers. As of Windows 7, I'm using Snow Leopard so that's not an option (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure you can only use Windows 7 if you have Lion).

I have noticed similar, playing Dirt2, and have seemed to track the issue down to the heat of the computer. I don't know enough about the inner workings of a Mac (or PC for that matter) to know if heat would cause the processor to start scrimping on graphic processing, but it certainly seems that way. If I play with the laptop in my lap, and my legs close together so that the computer cannot breath very well, the stuttering happens within 20 or 30 minutes. If I position the computer so that it has much more free air space underneath it, I seem to be able to play for a couple hours before the problem makes its self evident.

Now, obviously we are dealing with two different things. I am playing Dirt 2 within Lion (with every other unnecessary process closed), and you are using Parallels. I think the interesting fact is that we are experiencing the same problem on both platforms.

BTW, I am using a fall 2011 15" MBP, 2.2 GHz i7, 8Gb ram, 500Gb 7200rpm.

Sorry but we are in 2 completely different worlds, I am not using Parallels but actually using Boot camp so I am not on Mac OS. But the fan could be the cause of this.

Reaction score
You can definitely run Win 7 in Snow Leopard. But I would recommend upgrading to Lion regardless. :)

Cheers and good luck - there are several threads about upgrading video drivers on the forum; I would use the search function to search for those specific to your particular graphics adapter and go from there. It can be tricky but usually helps.

OP
B
Reaction score
I tried upgrading my video drivers to the lateest one.

It was probably a good thing to do since the game was running better than before.

But, after a couple of minutes it happened again, FPS dropped to somewhere below 10 and I had to quit the game. Any other ideas as to what I can do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.