Bootable thumb drive problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS 10.8.5 IPhone 4, IPad
I am trying to follow advise given starting with making a bootable operating system thumb drive. To accomplish this I have a Cruzer Glide 16GB thumb drive. I downloaded "DiscMaker X4B4" and followed the directions. Problem is the program cannot find my OS installer. It directs me to my application purchases which contains OS Mavericks with a "download button" but nothing for Mountain Lion.

As you can see in my signature my system says its running 10.8.5. Shortly (days) after I bought this machine Mavericks apeared for download/upgrade, I have ignored it until now.

Obviously I am somewhere below a novice. Just trying to start from what I believe to be the start. I do plan on moving forward with back-ups and OS upgrades. Any suggestions to get me moving forward?

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am trying to follow advise given starting with making a bootable operating system thumb drive.

Sorry to be picky…but the proper word is "advice" not "advise".;) I see this mistake so often that I feel that I need to start pointing it out. Again…sorry for being so picky.:)

To accomplish this I have a Cruzer Glide 16GB thumb drive. I downloaded "DiscMaker X4B4" and followed the directions. Problem is the program cannot find my OS installer. It directs me to my application purchases which contains OS Mavericks with a "download button" but nothing for Mountain Lion.

Just so it's 100% clear…are you trying to make a bootable thumb drive of Mavericks or Mountain Lion?

As you can see in my signature my system says its running 10.8.5.

Sorry…nothing in your signature.:(

Shortly (days) after I bought this machine Mavericks apeared for download/upgrade, I have ignored it until now.

Did you purchase this computer new or used?

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS 10.8.5 IPhone 4, IPad
Thanks for the reply. I'm working on the signature…….thought I had it before posting.

Spelling another of my weak points too late to solve. I'll try however to remember "advice".

Yes, I'm trying to make a bootable thumb drive of "Mountain Lion". OS X 10.8.5.

Here is what I thought was in my signature;

MacBook Pro 13" mid-2012
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
OS X 10.8.5

I bought the machine new from Best Buy Dec 2013.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I do not think you can as the original install file has most likely been erased. Normally when a new OS X is installed the installer file is downloaded to your download folder. You would then install it from there. When the install finishes it would be erased. To prevent that you have to copy the file to a different location, return to the download folder and start the install.

I know when I initially Maverick over Mountain Lion I copied the Mavericks installer file to another drive then started the install. When it was done, I created a bootable USB drive for Mavericks using the install file I had copied to the external drive. I did this when I upgraded to Yosemite too.

Problem is Mountain Lion was not a free download. You can still get it from Apple though: OS X Mountain Lion - Apple Store (U.S.)

You can install over Mountain Lion to upgrade to Mavericks which will keep your programs and data intact. But a clean instal is a much better way to go as it will clean out any potential junk from old apps. If you do a clean install you will have to move all your personal files first off the hard drive as it will erase everything.

Lisa

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I follow Lisa, thanks. Ultimately, Yosemite is my goal to install. I just want to go about it correctly.

I

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually, the OS X installer file for Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, and Yosemite is downloaded to the "Applications" folder not the download folder. But as Lisa pointed out, once the installation has completed, the installer file is erased.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I'm trying to make a bootable thumb drive of "Mountain Lion". OS X 10.8.5.

Thanks for all the info.:)

I think that the deal is...your Mac-Mini came with Mountain Lion (10.8) when you purchased it. But you never actually purchased Mountain Lion...and that's why it is not showing up in your Mac App Store "purchases" list. Mountain Lion is not free like Mavericks or Yosemite...it's $19.99.

Now what I think that you can do is (since your Mini came with Mountain Lion when it was new). Call Apple...explain to them the situation...and ask them if they can send you Mountain Lion (or update your App Store account so you can download Mountain Lion for free).

If Apple will not do this...and you want to make a bootable thumb drive of Mountian Lion...then you may need to purchase Mountian Lion for $19.99. But I think that you should have a pretty good shot at getting Mountain Lion for free when you speak with Apple (since your Mini came with it originally).:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I'm a little unclear on why you don't just upgrade to Yosemite. Save the $20 and apply it towards buying some more RAM for that machine (same one I have). I have 16GB in mine but 8GB should do.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you have the answer as to why I can't find the file Nick. Thanks and I will give calling Apple a shot.

I'm a little unclear on why you don't just upgrade to Yosemite. Save the $20 and apply it towards buying some more RAM for that machine (same one I have). I have 16GB in mine but 8GB should do.

I forgot what "a little unclear" looks like chas_m. I'm blind concerning these issues right now. Trying to go about using MacBook right from the start instead of my norm which is learning from mistakes. This machine has only been used to surf the web until recently.

I plan on upgrading RAM as suggested and getting a SSD drive. Looking at Crucial offerings now. For a back up drive I guess Amazon will be my choice. Got a thumb drive and thought I would start my journey making boot drive as suggested here.

I lack the nerve to jump right to an upgrade without a back up plan. So I guess to answer your question my motives are education and piece of mind. From reading here Yosemite seems ok, but there are some who are experiencing issues.

The last 2 evenings I've noticed something odd. The display "wiggles" intermittently when reading this form. Went away for awhile after shutting down but came back last night. Is this a symptom of immanent hard drive failure? I'm relating this to the comments her about an unstable machine.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Wiggling display speaks more to display issues or logic board than hard drive issues.

You can take a look at the hard drive S.M.A.R.T. status by clicking on the apple in the upper left corner -> about this mac -> system report button -> storage -> scroll down in the right column to SMART status. If it says verified that is at least some indication it is okay, although not a total guarentee.

You can also run a apple hardware test: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

There are others here who could give their opinions too.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wiggling display speaks more to display issues or logic board than hard drive issues.

Adding to what Lisa mentioned. If it is a display issue…try attaching an external monitor and see if you get the same symptoms.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the "wiggle" is from this site. The auto update interval is 10 seconds in the "latest entry" window and the "wiggle" occurs at each interval. I'll look to modify this setting.

Thanks to you both on the test suggestions. I completed them and no issues found.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Called Apple today about install file. They said my OS is supported by "internet recovery" and won't provide the install file. Gentleman said there are other third party options on the net I can pursue.

So dead end there. I did purchase an external back up drive and think I work on that today. RAM and SSD HD are on there way from Crucial. Also got a set of the small drivers (tools) necessary for upgrade.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.