boot up taking too long

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need more information if you expect someone to offer help.

We need the year and model of your iMac and which version of OS X that it's running. Also tell us how much room is left free on your hard drive? And the amount of memory your iMac has installed?

And Welcome to the Mac Forums.

OP
E
Reaction score
Imac takes too long to boot up

osx 10.9.4
3.5ghz intel core i7
16gb ram
1tb hard drive 599 used

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. First thing to do is check the hard drive. Boot to your recovery partition - hold down the command and r keys and restart the iMac. Hold them until you see the Apple. Once in recovery, select Utilities, then select Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive. Let us know the results of that.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Let's clarify something: Is it taking 5 minutes to get to the login screen (where you enter username and password) or 5 minutes to get to the desktop (Finder)? Neither one should take 5 minutes but this might give us some additional clues.

If it is taking 5 minutes to get to the desktop (Finder) go to the User & Groups preference pane and create a second account. Don't add any login items yet. Does it still take the same amount of time?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That leads me to suspect a hard drive issue. Here's what I suggest:

If you are on Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.x) boot from the CD and run Disk Utility to verify the boot disk. Repair any directory structure errors found. Although a permission repair isn't likely to help it won't hurt.

If you are running Lion start the computer and press Command + R. Choose the recovery partition from there. As before run Disk Utility and repair any errors found.

Reboot from the hard drive and let us know the results.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He's already verified the hard drive and stated no problems. (see post 5) Of course it could still be the hard drive. The problem with Disk Utility is that it doesn't check everything such as a problem related to the drive electronics or controller.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He's already verified the hard drive and stated no problems. (see post 5)

How in the world did I miss that? I'm going to the woodshed for a time out now.

C

chas_m

Have you booted up in single-user (terminal) mode and done an fsck check? Something funny going on there if it is literally taking five minutes to bootup. I'm going to check my 2012 MBP with 16GB of RAM and see how long that takes, and then edit this message.

EDIT: One minute from chime to login screen, then two minutes to fully-loaded desktop with all menubar extensions and such.

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Etccdb I notice that your Mac has 16 GB of ram. Has it always had this amount or was some added about the time this problem started. I seem to remember that one problem which can lead to slow boot times is memory configuration issues (faulty or suspect ram for example).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a possibility but unlikely unless the memory is bad or marginal. However, the first time you boot after a memory upgrade the boot time might be a tad bit longer while the system recognizes the new configuration. I had that happen to me on my iMac when I upgraded the memory from 8 GB to 16 GB. After the initial boot, everything returned to normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Have you booted up in single-user (terminal) mode and done an fsck check?

Don't forget to try Safe Boot - it clears some system caches - like font cache, which can cause this exact slowdown.
Or, use Onyx to clear selected caches.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a possibility but unlikely unless the memory is bad or marginal.

That's what I was thinking. It's a long shot but since the hard drive seems OK that was next on the list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.