Boot times

Reaction score
The state of confusion, Sheridan Wyoming for mail
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 2017, Intel I5 CPU, Intel HD 6000 graphics, 8 GB RAM, 480GB SSD.
I am new here so hope that I'm posting this in the correct forum...

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a MacBook Air 2017 which is Intel based. Since then I upgraded from the stock 128GB SSD to an OWC 480GB SSD to allow for a 200GB data partition for a shared resource between 2 140GB partitions for MacOS Big Sur 11.6 and Windows 10. This was done about 2 weeks ago. Everything is fine and working fine but I'm curious as to if my guess is correct as to why Windows boots to login quicker than MacOS Big Sur.

Boot time test was done in both cases through the Boot Camp boot manager.
Windows boots to login in ~20 seconds.
Big Sur boot to login in ~30 seconds.
I know that the boot time difference is not due to the Windows install being new and the MacOS install being older and slowed down due to accumulated garbage as the install of Big Sur was done clean to a raw drive just 2 weeks ago.

My thought/guess on this is that it is an Intel based system running an I5 CPU and Intel 6000 graphics. As is well known Intel hardware is optimized for Windows and I think this may be the major cause for the boot time difference. Is this a reasonable assumption?

Have a great day! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Quite a while since I used BootCamp. Does one still log in first to OS X? Then BootCamp? If so maybe some of the boot processes is avoided in Windows if already done in OS X boot?

OP
jaylach
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quite a while since I used BootCamp. Does one still log in first to OS X? Then BootCamp? If so maybe some of the boot processes is avoided in Windows if already done in OS X boot?
No, at least in the Big Sur version of Boot Camp it is just a boot manager. Hit the power button and hold the Option key and all devices that are considered bootable are displayed as a boot menu. No actual boot happens until a boot device is selected.

I MAY be wrong but I believe that Boot Camp (actually boot camp assistant) just sets up the install of Windows, or whatever OS, to partition the drive and make the Windows, or other OS, partition bootable. LOL! I may be wrong as how I see things but then I've only gone Apple 6 weeks ago.

I believe that once Windows is installed through Boot Camp it is then a matter of the firmware as to the actual boot menu being accessed via pressing the Option key while powering on. The boot menu comes up strictly through the firmware before any OS starts to load.

Sorry if any of my terms are wrong but this is the best that I can do with the short time I've been using an Apple system...

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
jaylach, I have to say thanks for that update on the current Boot Camp. I like harryb2448 have not used Boot Camp for quite a while, maybe 8 years or so.
I think you are correct about BC just setting up "the install of Windows, or whatever OS, to partition the drive and make the Windows, or other OS, partition bootable".
That sounds similar to what I remember and using the Option Key to select which bootable partition you want is now standard for external HD's or any bootable source so adding the Windows partition seems logical.

OP
jaylach
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are welcome about the Boot Camp update but I'm still interested in my idea as to the quicker boot to login when selecting Windows is likely due to the MacBook Air 2017 being Intel based and Intel optimizing their chips in favor of Windows...

Please keep in mind that even though very well versed with Windows with Microsoft awards I am VERY new to Apple...

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
How much difference are we talking here? Twice as long for macOS or 50% longer? Obviously there's a marked difference or you wouldn't notice.

OP
jaylach
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How much difference are we talking here? Twice as long for macOS or 50% longer? Obviously there's a marked difference or you wouldn't notice.
Big Sur takes ~30 seconds to get to the login. Windows takes ~20 seconds.

Both boot times are acceptable and I'm not complaining. I'm just looking for someone to reply as to if my theory as to the difference is valid.

I appreciate the responses but they do not give even an opinion as to my thoughts as to if my MacBook Air being an Intel based system is the reason for Windows booting quicker.

Sigh, I'm getting thanks for info I've put up but no actual answers as to my thoughts. I don't know a better way to ask my question. If more system info is needed I'll supply what I can...

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@jaylach

I sympathise with your main point which is:

Windows boots to login in ~20 seconds.
Big Sur boot to login in ~30 seconds.

And your second point: is your explanation for this credible?

Very hard to be definitive on this point. But my limited research does bring up a bunch of users like yourself and the general comment/grumble is that Windows is faster than macOS (Big Sur).

Some argue that Bootcamp/Windows "slows their Mac"; some see different Boot times - but nobody claims to have a provable theory/explanation.

Have a read of the following Links. But be aware that not all of the comments are sensible or logical or even polite.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bootcamp/comments/fxanel
Ian

OP
jaylach
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the links! :) May have already seen though as I did a lot of searching before finding this site. I joined here due to not seeing the self righteous rudeness that I saw on others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Personally, I believe the speed difference at startup, may have more to do with the security built into macOS over what winOS uses.

Sorry, it's not a definitive answer and we will never know the whole truth.

OP
jaylach
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally, I believe the speed difference at startup, may have more to do with the security built into macOS over what winOS uses.

Sorry, it's not a definitive answer and we will never know the whole truth.
Since, if I'm correct, MacOS is encrypted that is a possibility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
MacOS is encrypted
That was an important fact that was left out! Undoubtedly the encryption slows the boot. Not sure that much, but it's a factor for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.