Boot / Log in single user etc ??

Reaction score
My mac mini was working perfect today, until I was dumb enough to install a fingerprint reader. While training the fingerprint scanner, the mini went into screen saver mode (password protected) and switched off, the finger print wasn't saved and it won't let me enter a password.

When I reboot the machine, my normal login works and I can enter my password, but then the screen dialogue appears and the keyboard won't let me enter the password.

The instructions from the fingerprint scanner site are as follows:

Disabling of Biometric Login
Revision: A
Updated: 1/15/2009 5:53:08 PM

If something goes really wrong with our biometric login (i.e. you are not able to log into the system), you can use the single-user mode to disable it and restore the normal login options (as if our SW would not be installed).

To disable Biometric Logon, please follow carefully these steps:

Boot in Single-user mode (press and hold Apple+S keys during the boot)
You will see only black screen with a command line. To remount root filesystem to be writable please type following command and hit enter: mount -uw /
Enter command below to uninstall PS for MAC:
/Applications/Protector\ Suite/Uninstaller.app/Contents/Resources/AuthInstallerTool uninstall
If message: No such file or directory appears, please check that the command was entered correctly. If you still getting this message, the uninstaller is most probably missing. Please use this alternative procedure to disable the biometric logon.
Write "reboot" and hit enter.
The system default built-in login should appear (username & password).

But when I hold down the apple and the S key together, nothing happens, my mini boots as normal, there is no black screen etc.

Any ideas how to fix. I know my password, I just can't enter it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Did u have the computer set up with more than one User?
Try powering on and holding the Option Key - if that is not a possibility then shut it down by holding power button for 5 secs and then power on and insert the install disk and hold the C key. After you have selected the language then check drop down menus for Change password in the hope it does the trick. If not then it may be u have to do a complete reinstall.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Option key doesn't do anything.
I can't find the dvd, but have a bootable usb hdd made with ccc and I have a usb bootable install of snow leopard, but holding down the option key does nothing.I also have a time machine backup but still my hands are tied.
At this stage I am happy enough to re install, but I can't even do that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
If I were you at this stage, I would purchase a snow leopard disc, so you can boot off it, and erase the HD!

OP
Z
Reaction score
I did buy Snow Leopard, but I put it on usb, because I thought it would be handy to have in emergencies, and I can't remember where I left the dvd Aaaaah.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I hear you, but $30....... buy another copy :D

OP
Z
Reaction score
Just a thought, is it possible to get a mac mini to boot from any other cd, like windows or hirens boot cd or summat that I could download, then erase my hdd with it, and then use my bootable usb to re install snow leopard, then use my time machine to get back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That'd be a NOPE!

OP
Z
Reaction score
Lol

I can't believe it :Oops:

I have a bootable Usb drive with Snow Leopard
I have a bootable Usb Hdd with Carbon Copy
I have a Time Machine Backup
I can login to my Mac Mini with my password
I am watching my mac mini running perfect with my iphoto screensaver displaying my photos, and can't do nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have a bootable copy of your install disc on an external HD, then you can erase your HD with it. I wonder about your attempt at booting holding the option key.
You need to hold down the option key when you hear the chime, and keep it held down until you have the spinning pin wheel.

OP
Z
Reaction score
You may be right m8, I don't hear any chime.
If I unplug the mac mini, and switch on, I get the apple logo, with the "rotating sun" sybol underneath it, then after about 30 seconds, I get the login screen.
??????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this - just in case it helps.
First hold the power button for 7 secs to make sure it shuts down then reset the P RAM per the link

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, but nothing worked, had to take drastic action.
Removed hdd from mac mini, connected via usb caddy to my windows xp laptop. Had Acronis disc director, so used that to format the hdd.
Put back in mac mini, and it booted first time from my snow leopard usb stick.
Installed Snow Leopard, and imported from my Time Machine, all OK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So the moral of the story?
Do a bootable back up before you try adding any tricky stuff. Very easily reversed in that case.
Look here at McBies comments.

OP
Z
Reaction score
So the moral of the story?
Do a bootable back up before you try adding any tricky stuff. Very easily reversed in that case.
Look here at McBies comments.

None of that would have helped in the slightest m8.

I had 2 bootable backups, one with CC and an older one with super duper, I also had a usb bootable copy of Snow Leopard on a flash drive and had a Time Machine backup as well.

The software I installed for the usb fingerprint reader prevented, normal recovery methods. When I got the mac mini hdd formatted (externally), my bootable back ups worked fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So are you saying that even booting off the Install disk you could not erase the Mini HD and then install a new OS?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Yes m8, if I could have erased the hdd, I would have been back in action in 10 minutes.
I had no beeps on startup, it ignored all keyboard shortcuts on boot up, no recognition of any of my usb drives etc. Holding down "C" with the install dvd in the machine, caused the dvd to "spin up" and then it was ejected. Regardless of what I did, I got to the login screen, where the keyboard worked fine and my password was accepted, then the screen authentication login appeared. At that stage there was no option to enter a password, but it would "accept" my fingerprint, and reward me with a "green" correct tick, then the display would quiver for a second, then ask me for my fingerprint over and over again.
After the format of the hdd, everything worked fine, beeps on boot up keyboard shortcuts etc.
The only thing I can't 100% confirm is whether the superdrive is functioning perfect, because apart from trying to boot with it, I never use it, will check later.

I can also confirm, that the fingerprint reader in question, will never cause me or anyone else any problems ever again lol.

This is the software I installed
Welcome To UPEK - Solutions - Protector Suite for Mac Preview
and during fingerprint "training" my screen went blank, and presented me with the login screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if one could install it and get it working, it would be bulletproof protection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.