boot failure

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I have a problem with my Macbook pro 2013....about a year ago, it started to behave very odd....on boot up, it would show a grey screen and a question mark, or circle with a slash across it, or folder icon in the middle of the screen...than i would have to reboot it a few times with holding up "option" button and choose Macintosh HD drive, to boot it, and luckily it would start working....that continued for a while after what i have gone to local computer repair store since i was out of USA and here in Ukraine there is no official apple service. They changed the HDD to SSD and it worked for a month or so just fine, after wards it started again, and after half a year to boot up the computer became real challenge. And finally when i decided to reinstall OS X and boot it from USB flash drive, it didn't see any SSD....however when i press "option" during start up, i can see Macintosh HD, and am able to choose it and start loading procedure, however screen goes black after about 10% of loading procedure....looks like it just shuts off for some reason....

I thought that it might be the SSD, but is it really possible so that within 1 year 1 HDD and 1 SSD would die????? with normal use of computer, just for internet browsing, and watching movies...etc....

Please help...
thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's not unheard of, but that is unusual to be that unlucky. Shouldn't that SSD at least be under warranty still? It's entirely possible that your problem isn't the drive at all, but a component on the motherboard itself. If you are able to, run the Apple Hardware Test and see what that reports.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

Reaction score
I had the same issue when I gone to setup my device it didn't complete. When go to a service center then they said that Laptop Hard Disk is crushed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.