Boot Camp

Reaction score
When using Boot Camp to install windows (W7) do I need to find drivers for the various Mac components?

Does Boot Camp work pretty effectively? I'd like to have dual boot so I can run PC games.. thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Not sure about the drivers question, but with BC its not going to be a dual boot. If you wabt to play games in W7 you have to log out of the Mac side and log into your BC partition.
If your looking for a dual boot, you need to go with Parallels or VMfusion.
This works in the same manner as if you have another user account activated, and all you have to do is a quick switch between the two ...

Hope that helps some :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
In Bootcamp with XP the drivers are supplied on the disks you got with the machine. You load them after Bootcamp is up and running. I assume that Win7 drivers come the same way.

If you run fairly complex games, you will need to install them in Bootcamp. Parallels won't run about half of my games and some that do run will bomb on occasion with fatal errors. Other than games, Parallels runs all of my old leftover Winstuff, like Quicken, Corel Draw, etc.

Just remember that while in Bootcamp you are running a pure Windows machine and you get everything that comes with any windows - like the need to run virus and malware protection and the need to be careful what you download. You also get the stuff that Microsoft always provides for free, like lockups, blowups, screen corruption and so forth. (Although I have never seen a BSOD).

I do all of my 'Net activity on the Mac side and I make sure that my Bootcamp can't see the network so I stay safe from incoming problems. Actually, the only thing that I use Bootcamp for is local gaming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook (late-2008)
Not sure about the drivers question, but with BC its not going to be a dual boot. If you wabt to play games in W7 you have to log out of the Mac side and log into your BC partition.
If your looking for a dual boot, you need to go with Parallels or VMfusion.
This works in the same manner as if you have another user account activated, and all you have to do is a quick switch between the two ...

Hope that helps some :)

Cheers

No hard feelings.. but that^^ is incorrect.

Bootcamp IS a dual boot. It works flawlessly and all the drivers are on the Apple website and on the leopard/snow leopard disks.

What TattoedMac is talking about is a Virtual Machine. You cannot game on a virtual machine, if you want the technicalities I can explain but don't expect to be able to game on a VM. If that interests you though, you can get a free virtual machine client from Sun Microsystems. It's called VirtualBox, just search google.

I run Windows7 on my Mac and it works flawlessly. Windows is better on a mac (=

And I have no virus problems on my Windows install. Just make sure you download MicrosoftSecurityEssentials, its a free antivirus suit from Microsoft. It's really impressed me. It's super light and it doesn't slow down your machine one bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.