boot camp off of external USB DVD drive.

Reaction score
Anyone know how to install windows on an early 2011 mbp through an external USB powered CD drive. I know this question has been asked many times but I have to say that not only is my situation very unique but ive scoured the internet only to find different methods that all lead to the same dismal result.

I wasent happy with the hard drive selection that apple had when I purchased my macbook (only 1month ago) and being that I find myself very handy with computers,hardware in particular. I took the liberty to go ahead and have a 128gig ssd as my boot up drive from apple. Then I took out my superdrive and bought a bracket that holds a standard 2.5inch drive and replaced my superdrive with a 1tb drive. Everything was going better than I expected the drive was recognized right away and everything was fine.

I come to school now and im studying to become an engineer and I will be using a lot of Cad programs, most of which only are windows compatible and very graphics intensive so I felt immediately that using a virtual machine was a last resort just based off of performance vs. bootcamp. So now I run into the dilemma that I need windows on my computer. first step was to just run bootcamp and just see how that goes.. when I got to the step of booting off the dvd the screen would just go and stay black. I looked everywhere and found rEFIt to be a solution...boy was I wrong. After trying rEFIt I booted from the windows disc and same thing..black screen of death.

So it seems that anything I do just leads up to the point where I need to boot off the windows disc and the same black screen comes up. I even tried 2 different windows discs.

This is my last resort before resorting to fusion or parallels.

if you need any more information on my system or setup whatsoever please dont hesitate to ask, I will be checking this site often in search for the answer to this problem

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As you found out, you can't install Windows from an external optical drive without a lot of frustration and failures. Here's what most folks in your situation do:

Remove the data doubler with the 1 TB drive, reinstall your optical drive, install Windows, and reverse the process. The only problem you're going to run into is that the SSD you have may be too small to run both OS X and Windows.

OP
J
Reaction score
I cant really do that the ssd isnt big enough for what I need. is there anything else? or am I going to have to just use fusion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No Windows will not install on an external period.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
shouldn't 128GB be enough to get a minimal install of windows? Then make a backup and restore to the new drive once installed. I've done this in the windows world with multiple clones of windows for different uses. I have never tried doing anything with bootcamp though.

OP
J
Reaction score
shouldn't 128GB be enough to get a minimal install of windows? Then make a backup and restore to the new drive once installed. I've done this in the windows world with multiple clones of windows for different uses. I have never tried doing anything with bootcamp though.

this sounds like an amazing idea. Im going to attempt this and get back to u guys with the results.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro i5 / 4GB / 250GB
its been 2 weeks, did it work?

OP
J
Reaction score
I have not tried it, because it is too risky for me because currently at college this is my only computer and if something happens to it then I am screwed. I have decided to just go with vmware fusion. Im about to install that because up until right now I havent direly needed windows but starting next week I will. I really really dont like windows so im just going to use fuzion for now and then when I dont use those programs ever again Im going to delete it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
If you haven't already purchased VMWare Fusion I would take a look at VirtualBox. It's a free virtualization program that works fine for the occasional need to use windows (one of my classes requires Visual Studio)

9ky

Reaction score
Two disk senario osx10.6 / win7x64

Hi Guys..

This worked for me...

Before replacing the superdrive with optibay and a 500 GB disk, I borrowed a friends laptop.. Replaced the disk in his with my empty one (easy on non mac's), and went on and installed until the first boot where I powered off, before it could continue, mounted the half installed disk in my mac replacing the superdrive.. Booted with the option key down.. selected the windows partition and it continued the installation.. had the bootcamp drivers on a thumbdisk.. installed and bingo.. Just remember to assemble your friends laptop again..

/Nik

Reaction score
There's a much easier way

1. Remove the OSX drive
  2. Install the Windows drive as the primary
  3. Reinstall the super drive
  4. Boot from the Windows installation media (press "C" while booting)
  5. Install Windows
  6. move the windows drive to special carrier and Mac drive to primary location
  7. Hold option on boot and both drives should be able to boot

Worked for me with a 512GB SSD for OSX and a 256GB SSD for Windows installed in a late 2011 MBP 17"

Before you get started though grab the Windows Support tools with Bootcamp assistant

9ky

Reaction score
Nice

@the_noble1

Nice..

Just, I didnt want take my precious mac apart twice and move the disks around 2 much..That why I chose "the friends pc-laptop" method..

anyway.. it works. Afterwards I had to (carefully) remove the system reserved partition manually.. don't need it, unless you want bitlocker.. google it.

Nik

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.