Bookmarked website becomes fake

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Today I clicked on a bookmarked website; a message came up to say that this was a website impersonating the oneI wanted. It's the website for Tesco the largest UK supermarket.

Is this because somebody has hacked into Tesco's website so they have had to change it? I googled Tesco and it took me to the correct site and I re-saved the login page in Bookmarks.

Alternatively has somebody inserted malware into my equipment (iPhone, iPad and iMac)?

Reaction score
Today I clicked on a bookmarked website; a message came up to say that this was a website impersonating the oneI wanted. It's the website for Tesco the largest UK supermarket.

Is this because somebody has hacked into Tesco's website so they have had to change it? I googled Tesco and it took me to the correct site and I re-saved the login page in Bookmarks.

Alternatively has somebody inserted malware into my equipment (iPhone, iPad and iMac)?

The latter is almost certainly not the case. There are no reports of any such malware in the wild for the Macintosh.

The former is indeed possible, and it's likely that the Safe Browsing technology in your Web browser is what tipped you off and saved you from the site.

Just about all Web browsers these days have Google's "Safe Browsing" technology built-in to protect you from poisoned Web sites, drive-by downloads, and phishing sites.
Inside Safari 3.2’s anti-phishing features | Macworld
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Report a Phishing Page

Also, there is *no malware whatsoever* for the iPhone and iPad. NONE. Both the iPad and iPhone use a version of Apple's iOS as their operating system. The only source for software for both the iPad and iPhone is Apple's App Store. Apple vets all the software submitted to be in the app store. So no malware gets in. With no vector for malware, there is none for both platforms. This, by the way, is a HUGE advantage that the iPad and iPhone have over competing devices running Android. (e.g. Samsung's Galaxy.)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Many thanks Randy, most helpful. I can't find anywhere to up your rating but will do so if it comes up.

Colin.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Many thanks Randy, most helpful. I can't find anywhere to up your rating but will do so if it comes up.

Colin.
Go to Randy's post and click on the thumbs up icon. A box will appear for you to make a comment if you like. when done click on the Add To Reputation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.