Book suggestions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini (late2014); Model A1347; OS Sierra, version 10.12.6
I would like some suggestions for books to read and study for My Mac Mini. I have "Switching to the Mac, the missing manual, El Capitan edition but would like suggestions for maybe something better.
Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
What do you feel is missing from that book that you would like to cover? I haven't read that or any book during my switch some 7+ years ago and learned things as time went. If you have specific questions, we can definitely address those with our collective knowledge here. A lot of things you will pick up just by playing around..

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just wondering if there was something better and maybe a little more specific. Seems like the "Switching to the Mac" doesn't have enough detail some of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Just wondering if there was something better and maybe a little more specific. Seems like the "Switching to the Mac" doesn't have enough detail some of the time.

Hi Minibill - I've purchased MANY books over the decades, first those related to PCs/DOS/Windows during my working years when I was on PCs, and in retirement the last 4 years, books related to Apple products. From your broad request, I'm not sure if you want a book(s) specifically on the MiniMac and/or on OS X which is the operating system on your computer vs. others on such topics as apps, networking, etc. You'll have to be much more specific.

But just to start the discussion, search on Amazon w/ terms that relate to your interests & needs. As an example, I've always enjoyed David Pogue's books, especially the 'Missing Manual' series - a couple shown below. There is also the ubiquitous 'Dummies Series', some are excellent others not as much, so read the reviews. In addition, there are other publishers w/ their own series. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 4.34.59 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They are the best and will cover any difficulties that may arise. The biggest difficulty at the moment for you is that OS X is not Windows so don't try and make it perform like Windows.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies. To be more specific I think I need something more specific for learning the OS X system. I have the "Switching to the Mac" El Capitan. I probably should have gotten "OX S El Capitan" instead. I am not having problems, just thought something more specific to OX S might be more helpful.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
+1 for OS X El Capitan - the missing manual, Pogue.

As near complete & readable as you're likely to find.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks for the replies. To be more specific I think I need something more specific for learning the OS X system. I have the "Switching to the Mac" El Capitan. I probably should have gotten "OX S El Capitan" instead. I am not having problems, just thought something more specific to OX S might be more helpful.

Hello again Minibill - others have 'chimed in' about the Pogue books - NOW, keep in mind that Apple is about to release a new operating system and has renamed OS X as macOS - the first release will be Sierra, so if you're planning to upgrade, then you might want to wait until books are offered about Sierra; Amazon is already advertising upcoming offerings, such as the one below; and I'm sure that David Pogue will be doing the same in his 'Missing Manual' series - just something to think about - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 6.31.04 PM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good point, Dave. Shouldn't have to wait long.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again Minibill - others have 'chimed in' about the Pogue books - NOW, keep in mind that Apple is about to release a new operating system and has renamed OS X as macOS - the first release will be Sierra, so if you're planning to upgrade, then you might want to wait until books are offered about Sierra; Amazon is already advertising upcoming offerings, such as the one below; and I'm sure that David Pogue will be doing the same in his 'Missing Manual' series - just something to think about - Dave :)
View attachment 25002
Thanks for the advice and info Dave! Think I'll wait a little while.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info and advice Dave! I think I'll wait a little while.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not long to wait 20 Sept official release date. May pay to wait a week or so as the servers do get overloaded with the first 'must haves' hogging them.

Reaction score
I bought the paperback book "OS X El Capitan for Dummies" and "Switching to the Mac" by iBook. I hardly read either one since I found this Forum. I wish I would have found the Forum sooner, I would have saved some money. This Forum has some Excellent information and questions are answered fast. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It may not be as entertaining as some books, but the Mac's built-in Help(via the menu) and its various topics can be a useful source of info and will apply to the OS X version you're running.

Also just using the "?" can be useful and informative on those windows that use it, especially System preferences etc.

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks pm-r. I've looked at help a little and also the manuals in the "more resources" section of mac help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
It may not be as entertaining as some books, but the Mac's built-in Help(via the menu) and its various topics can be a useful source of info and will apply to the OS X version you're running.

Also just using the "?" can be useful and informative on those windows that use it, especially System preferences etc.

- Patrick
=======

This is how I learnt, plus googling my queries and scouring this forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.