Bluetooth turns off with Mac

Reaction score
Mac Mini, late 2014, High Sierra.

No built-in sound, of course, so I output through a Sony SRS Z5, connected via BlueTooth. Fine, no problems, good set up.

Except when I close down the Mac, then the Speaker goes into 'Bluetooth Pairing' mode, and the link is broken. Only takes a half a minute to solve it (go Bluetooth, 'SRS-Z5, Connect', all done), but I wondered if there's a button somewhere which I haven't pressed which would keep the connection connected.

Suggestions welcomed.

Allen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not as far as I know. Off is off, so BT stops transmitting, the link is broken. You could leave the CPU running, just darken the screen. In system preferences/Energy saver check the box for "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off" and the system should stay powered on, the BT connected.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks Jake, that seems a power-waste too far, even for me. If that's it, then I'll settle for what I do, i.e. break into a sweat by having to press the Connect button.

A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It's your call. I don't think the power draw in that screen-off mode is that high, but it's up to you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Are you putting the Mac Mini to sleep when you say "close down the Mac"? If so, it should disconnect from all wireless things like WiFi, BT and so on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.